Lucas Pérez

Tino is the Depor president.
https://twitter.com/MoarFootball/status/868014945690103808

https://twitter.com/MoarFootball/status/868015102586482688

Is he still injured? Or it’s just Wenger who doesn’t like him? :xhaka:

I’d love to know why Wenger bought him.
He’s been here a season and hasn’t started a single game in the PL.

At 17m he was Wenger’s biggest striker signing, when we were desperate for one, and he refuses to play him.
If it was because Welbeck was injured and also because Giroud had lost his form, then he should have been picked, but Wenger still left him out.
Why?

1 Like

Lucas has been bought to be a second option on attack because Welbeck was injured. When Sànchez started to play on upfront, he was the THIRD option on attack and the third option on the right after Theo and Oxlade.

2 Likes

false. :slight_smile:

That’s a lot of money for a third choice striker, when Welbeck was playing again.
Especially when Wenger is notoriously tight when buying strikers.

It’s really not. £17 million is a pittance these days, I feel like people have to keep telling you this when you keep saying we spent a lot on Lucas.

1 Like

It might be a pittance to any manager with ambition, but to Wenger that is a lot of money.
You will never convince me that 17m on Perez, considering it’s Wenger we’re talking about here, isn’t a lot of money, especially for a player that rarely plays.

He doesnt need to convince you, just to gently remind you these statements you throw out as an absolute fact is actually false.

Ozil cost approx 2.5 times as much, Alexis and Xhaka approx double.

I assume you need to fill your daily quota of Wenger hatred, and are now scraping the bottom of the barrell for things to moan about? :smile:

Wenger may adjust slowly to the market but he’s not an idiot. He’s doubtless aware that £17m in today’s market is small change. Lucas started his first game at striker after being bought. Clearly the role planned for him was a bigger one, and the Alexis at striker thing was not planned. Maxi’s explanation is entirely satisfying tbh.

1 Like

[quote=“Oliver, post:952, topic:584, full:true”]
He doesnt need to convince you, just to gently remind you these statements you throw out as an absolute fact is actually false.

Ozil cost approx 2.5 times as much, Alexis and Xhaka approx double.

I assume you need to fill your daily quota of Wenger hatred, and are now scraping the bottom of the barrell for things to moan about? :smile:
[/quote]So, as you have rightly said, that makes Perez our fifth biggest signing.
Hardly a pittance, and hardly not worth criticising Wenger over.

If you think our fourth biggest signing was worth 17m just to sit on the subs bench, if that, then go on and believe it.

Dude, he isn’t a big money signing in Wengers eyes, it really is as simple as that.

Wenger clearly doesn’t consider it to be a significant fee otherwise he would have made a lot more effort to find a way to get him in the side. Wenger doesn’t spend big money and then give the player, what was it, one league start out of thirty eight?

You keep bringing up that in terms of record transfers he’s apparently fifth, but that ignores that we had an abnormally low record fee for a big club for a very, very long time. This coupled with all of four of our record signings coming in recent years because of our improved financial situation is a clear illustration of why £17 million isn’t a significant fee for us any more.

I certainly hope Wenger proves it to be an insignificant fee in the next transfer window.

Obtuse as always i see :smile:

I don’t even see why it matters tbh.

Wenger tends to buy strikers he barely uses during the season. Look at Podolski in the past. I really don’t get it.

2 Likes

Wenger used Podolski loads in his first season, and just like Lucas Perezski, tried him at centre forward (/bought him with the plan of using him as a CF) before quickly giving up on it.

1 Like

I think Lucas has been bought to be what now Welbeck is. Unfortunately for him Sànchez started to perform as striker, Giroud scored some goals as backup and when he was set to be part of the rotation, has been injured. In the same time Welbeck returned in training.

It’s a trait of Wenger’s to give up on promising adaptions. Podolski was by no means a perfect player but I think if given time he could have been a reasonable false nine. Arshavin too, although he was much more technically proficient than Podolski. It’s a running theme in Arsene’s recent career tbh, take Alexis this season for example. We were playing some of our best football and for some reason we just decided to start shoehorning Giroud and Theo into the striker role.

Wenger has his favorites and I’m confident that if he’s in charge next season we’ll see us shift back into our old ways/formation.