Lucas Pérez

So happy with this signing. He’s definitely quality. We’ve got some nice players for the wing forward positions now. Walcott, Welbeck, Giroud, Sanchez, Iwobi, Perez now all fit. So that’s 5 for 3 spots. Even more reason for Wenger to put Ox in the mix for that CM spot.

Has Perez been deployed out wide effectively? I honestly can’t remember how we have used him other than at striker. He seems like a useful player for sure - I just worry that we have a pile of “good options” for wing with Alexis pushed up top, but none of them are “great”.

1 Like

Just my opinion but we should be fully capable of winning the league with a guy like Theo chipping in 15 goals from the right and maybe Perez or Welbeck scoring 8 to 10 from the left. Especially considering Sanchez is on pace to score like 25 or whatever it is. Our issue is that our team turns to garbage when we lose Santi for any period of time.

No, our issue is that we can’t beat top six teams consistently in one season with or without Santi.

2 Likes

I agree.
If Walcott or Welbeck scored fifteen goals or more from out wide and Sanchez or Giroud scored as many as they have done this season upfront, then it’s possible we could definitely challenge for the title.
The problem is both are often injured and both are not prolific enough to do that, and are too inconsistent.

I agree about Cazorla.
Wenger really needs to find a suitable replacement in the next window, unless he can somehow keep him fit, but even then he will need replacing soon.

We have more than enough attacking options, it’s the top quality match winners we are are short of, and they don’t come cheap.

Even if we did as good as last year against top 6 and then cleaned up the sloppy results against the bottom half we’d be fine.

Bingo.

Even with Santi we fall short, losing him is just one of a plethora of reasons why we won’t win the title under Wenger again.

Really like what I’m seeing from Perez, he just breathes productivity. Should be getting more games for sure.

1 Like

I don’t think we did that good against top 6 last year. If you’d take those points we had last year against them it would mean we would have to be almost unbeaten against 7th - 20th placed teams to win it all.

Chelsea have 9 points from 6 matches, that’s not why they are winning the league tbh.

That doesn’t mean, for us, head2heads against top 6 aren’t a limiting problem.

9 out of 6 means 15 after 10 games btw. Still better than what we can produce. If they keep that up at least.

Reality is it does not matter overly who the points come against but what you do need is 85+ of them 8 times out of 10 to win the League. We haven’t hit 80 since 2007-2008.

1 Like

Was impressed with his performance against the Saints although that was a poor Saints team. I think he will be a handy player for us as the season progresses. He has the skill and pace to cause problems to most defences. He might just be our game changer from the bench. Seriously, with a fully fit squad, going forward, we can choose to go with raw pace (Theo), pace and skill (Perez, Ox), power and skill (Giroud), pace, power and skill (Alexis, Welbeck).

I agree he was pretty impressive sunny.
His vision and passing was first rate. 2 assists and the ball he played to Danny for theos goal were first rate. Hope to see more of him.

And the one to Alexis for Theo’s last goal!

YEP.

Lucas is the new Joel Campbell. Wenger playing his boy Walcott over him every game is an absolute shambles.

4 Likes

I think Iwobi and Walcott should really be rotated with a more direct duo of Pereth/Welbeck in the near future. Lucas is a lot more direct than/potentially better goal threat than Alex is and Welbeck clearly offers a better all-around performance than Theo at the moment. Just a question of overplaying after such an injury.

2 Likes

Have you seen his lack of defensive qualities to help Bellerìn?

Walcott on the other hand…?

4 Likes

Robertson and Grosicki have been controlled very well by him and Bellerìn.

How one can begin to get worked up about an argument as inconsequential as Lucas vs. Theo (you take your pick: quality and precision in front of goal, or better movement and more pace and more chances-- my verdict: much of fucking muchness) when fucking Coquelin and Ox are picked in central midfield is beyond me.

1 Like