January Transfer window thread

Probably gonna get sold in the summer?

1 Like

:arteta:

Another great buy.

Also:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-players-want-alexis-sanchez-gone-before-the-weekend-but-manchester-united-move-hinges-on-a3742246.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Looks like this Alexis Mkhitaryan deal is holding up everything else. Raiola wants a lot of money.

Ffs just take the cash at this point. No way is he worth Sanchez’s wages.

I agree with the others who said Wenger probably wants him because he’s delusional of getting some success straight away. Selling out his principles to do so as well, dealing with Raiola.

We should say enough. Take United’s £35 million.

4 Likes

Yeah, feels like a no-brainer.

3 Likes

Use those funds + Walcott + Coq + tell Wenger to blow dust off his checkbook and get Malcom (for the future) and PEA for now.

7 Likes

Exactly.
What’s going on?

Since we bought Lacazette we have sold:

Chamberlain 40m
Coquelin 20m
Sanchez 35m
Walcott 20m
Szczesney 10m
Gabriel 11m
Gibbs 7m

For just over 100m.

We have also got rid of around 30m a season in wages, if you include Cazorla, who is leaving.

Even if we did get Mkhitayran, Aubameyang and Malcom, it’s still a net spend of not much and why hasn’t it happened yet?

4 Likes

I’m trying to be hopeful that the new hires behind the scenes have a plan and are trying to execute it.

Malcom (or players in a similar age/cost bracket) should be being brought in period, not contingent on another deal getting done. His current fee is peanuts in today’s market. If he doesn’t pan out, it’s not really a big loss for Arsenal.

Still, PEA is a replacement (of sorts) for Sanchez. Miki is fraught with risk, but is likely the best that can be done in a January window. However, those guys are replacements, not really moving forward. Let’s hope that more signings will be made in the summer to actually move the club forward instead of trying to maintain w/the bare minimum required.

2 Likes

Because a large portion of those money will be Stan’s new loan.

1 Like

For the same reason as every time you wonder.

They’re not groceries at the store, they’re people, with their own interests, a career to take into considerations, families with opinions, there is competition from other clubs, they have clown agents who want to make money, managers with agendas that interfere etc.

We must have a lot of cash just laying around considering we have made a substantial profit in the last 2 windows…

So how come all the players we have sold went easily enough but when we buy players it takes a lot longer.

It’s Wenger dithering as usual and the club haggling over a few million rather than get business done.

It’s the constant dithering in recent windows that has caused us to lose out on players, and consequently the price of an average player has almost doubled and our lack of activity in the market has meant we have lost our best players.

We have sold seven decent players since we last last bought a decent player, and received 100m.
Then when I said, why hasn’t anything happened yet? you said, “for the same reason as every time you wonder,” as if questioning our transfer activity was in some way out of the ordinary.

I have seen enough useless transfer windows and then listened to enough of Wenger’s pathetic excuses of our complete failure in these windows, to know that doubting our ability to do remotely enough in the window is probably the right attitude.

I will be surprised if our net spend is much more than breaking even, which is what we normally do.

I don’t want to be pedantic, but how sure are you of those figures?

I don’t ask you out of trying to prove you wrong cos I don’t have a problem with your point

1 Like

They seem right bar Sanchez the deal hasn’t been officially done yet & Coq was more like 12 million apparently.

I got most of them off of Transfer League, they show all the players in and out for every PL club.
The players we sold in this window were just what I’d read on this forum but the total is around 100m in transfer fees.

1 Like

Lost in all of this…our defense still fucking sucks balls and is not being addressed. And 10 years on from Gilberto we still can’t get anything that even resembles a decent holding midfielder.

5 Likes

I think Wenger will only replace in this window rather than invest, and there is an awful lot of replacing to do.
Sanchez, Walcott, Chamberlain, Cazorla and Coquelin will need replacing and in the next window Wenger will have to start sorting out a top quality CB and GK and possibly a replacement for Ozil and Giroud.

I don’t know how is going to do all that and make a net profit.
But I’m sure he’ll find a way.
He truly is a genius in the transfer market.

lol

https://twitter.com/FutballTweets/status/953733758938681347

3 Likes

This shit would be almost as good as Eriksen > Bale > Ozil :giroud::giroud2:

1 Like

Serious???

The list of “almost signed” players is so damn long… but then Wenger managed to sign Kallstrom (already knew injured) and Sanogo…

In hindsight, it was a criminally low sale.

1 Like

In foresight, it was a criminally low sale!

Ridiculous fee.

4 Likes