January Transfer window thread

Reporters are saying he didn’t want to leave Marseille in the first place.

I dont know that he wants to play for us at all. Reports saying he doesnt like London.

The subtext of his recent comments were pretty clear, all that talk of how fun it would be to play for Arsenal. I think he’d definitely come here.

He’s got one big move in him, one last chance to earn dat premier league cash. In three years time he can move back to Marseille and spend the rest of his life there living it up.

1 Like

I think he has said he likes our style of play and would probably jump at the chance to play alongside Sanchez and Ozil.
He would be a great signing for us, and the lift it would give the supporters and players would be immense.
We should at least have a go.

Yeah i saw that too, but thats a given! If reports coming out its London he hates then thats that really.

Wouldnt surprise me if every manager in the league has made an enquiry though.

He must have had some kind of idea in mind and unless it is us guaranteeing him the move I can’t see him ending at Arsenal anytime soon. West Ham would be better off selling him cheap to France or just straight keeping him as they’ve still got him on a long contract.

Going back to Marseille wouldn’t be very ambitious though. They haven’t been in the Champions League for a few years now, and it’s looking unlikely they’ll qualify this season. He’s nearly 30, this is his last big move - surely he has to head for CL football?

2 Likes

No he isn’t. There’s a reason he hasn’t played for a big club before. His mentality, inconsistency and attitude have long been called into question. So far he’s shown he has one good season in the PL in him followed up by a subpar season. Experienced at the highest level he absolutely is not.

Spending 30-40m on a man 2 months shy of his 30th birthday who is known to be inconsistent would be ridiculous lol. Money could be better spent elsewhere.

4 Likes

Tbh he shouldn’t have signed that last contract then which wasn’t even a year ago. Seems to be more of a case of being simply unhappy and not looking to play at a higher or even CL level as that window to do so was last summer.

Why not? He was obviously under the impression that with a bigger stadium West Ham would be going on to bigger things :flushed: That didn’t materialise so now he wants out. Also, by signing that contract he’ll fetch the club he is screwing over more money. His parting gift, if you like.

Would be a superb short term replacement for Ozil while we line up a big deal player.

Genuinely the best January signing we could make. 30 million for an elite winger is nothing in todays market but I’d doubt we’d be ambitious enough to persuade West Ham.

1 Like

In what world is a soon to be 30 year old West Ham winger elite???

6 Likes

…with 9 players which can play on the flanks. You could be capable to cause a bankrupt to the best financial company in the World if you would take the control.

1 Like

He has played well for France and was one of their best players in the Euros.

I take your point that he might be expensive considering his age but we are never going to fork out the 70-80m it would take to get a world class winger, and he is a very good player.

I’m not even sure he would cost that much, he might go for as little as 25m, but if, like Arshavin, he gets us out of a rut and stops the stagnation, then he could be the lift we need to get a top four place.
So even if he did cost 30m, qualifying for the CL would pay for him.

Yeh I could probably do that if I wanted. I’d start by buying everyone I know the bear coat from workaholics.

1 Like

It’s true, we have got nine players that can play wide, but with Sanchez playing as a striker, it would mean Payet would be better than all of them.

The choice is Payet playing with Ozil and Sanchez, or one of Chamberlain, Iwobi, Walcott, Ramsey, Perez, Welbeck etc, playing with Ozil or Sanchez.

How can buying Payet be a negative thing?

He would cost a lot, we should keep the money to buy Lewandowski and Greizmann…maybe Messi too if we can attract him here…ooohhhh maybe Suarez or Neymar too :campbell:

Arséne, pick up your phone :wenger:. He is just asking for someone to come in and get him.

If that were true, I would agree, but we both know it isn’t.