Jack Wilshere

I agree.
Of all the English players we have, he is the best.
His problem is his injury record but that has never bothered Wenger before, certainly after the amount of seasons players like Diaby, Rosicky, Arteta, Gibbs etc, have spent here.

Like you say, I can’t imagine him at another club, so if he does leave, I hope it’s for a club in another country.

Just scrolled through 234 comments, excellent debate and no bullshit.

When I first saw the stories I chuckled and didn’t believe it would happen. See most Gooners grew up with Brady, Dixon, Adams, Wright, Henry, Bergkamp, etc. I was a late bloomer and my favorite player was instantly Jack Wilshere. I was always happy to see him in the team(when he played), and always wanted his talent to be on squad and more importantly on the pitch. When I went in April and making the trek up to Sunderland I was telling the people in the car that I was really hoping I would get to see Wilshere play, for 90 minutes or even just the 10 minutes he did play. When he came on for Ozil I was excited, get to see my favorite player get onto the pitch and maybe create some magic and score or assist the winner.

It’s not easy when a player you’re attached to leaves, albeit on loan, but I was convinced he had a big role at the club this season with the numerous competitions Arsenal is in and the inevitable Arsenal injuries that happen(Save the Jack injury joke) since Jack was finally fit. I’m going to continue to believe this loan move will be for the best and he’ll come back a stronger, fitter, and a better player. Is that me speaking blindly about a player who hasn’t done a whole lot recently? Sure, that’d be fair to say, I just want him to be in the starting 11 week in and week out.

My biggest fear is he gets a few games at Bournemouth then gets injured again and ends up on some lower Premier League side, or elsewhere, and never makes it at Arsenal to what we thought he could be.

All the best to Jack this season, more of a reason now to watch Bournemouth more.:wilshere:

3 Likes

The thing about this move I have a horrible feeling I can’t shift that it is more of a ‘get the fans used to him not being here’ sort of feeling to it for me, maybe I am wrong and I hope I am but it just feels like they are getting us used to him being out of the club so the can release him soon.

I’m trying to think with the brain and not with heart. I’m in pain about this deal because Jack Wilshere is one of us, is a good guy, but we need to understand why he was the 7th choice on midfield. This period at Bournemouth will be useful for him if he wants to come back as better player and better person, because during latest years the papers haven’t talked of him about player performances but of his love for the cigarettes, for the alchool, for the parties and for the chants against Tottenham. During latest years, because of his not regular lifestyle and his injuries, the VIP figure has surpassed the player.

I still don’t know if the fans will miss the bad boy or the player.

It’s useless for me to debate about his qualities, we know who is Jack and how good he is, but please, stop to link the video of his performance against Xavi and Iniesta. Bloody hell, was the 11th of February, 2011, over 5 years ago. The injuries have changed his body, his brain and his style. The old Jack Wilshere isn’t the same of this year.

Now we have a player who has become the 7th/6th choice because since he was fully fit many things have changed. Santi Cazorla now is a playmaker and not advanced, there is Ozil, Coquelin is back, Ramsey is still here and Arsène bought Xhaka and Elneny in six months.

Is Wilshere capable to react and fight to become again a key player for Arsenal Football Club? I don’t know, this new experience will send important answers about his future with our club.

Sincerly, I’m not happy for the man but about the player, I’m not scared because we missed (for only one year) the 18th player of the squad, not a starter and not a key squad player like Coquelin.

1 Like

Jack could make his debut this Saturday against AC Milan.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11743/10561703/jack-wilshere-set-to-make-bournemouth-debut-against-ac-milan

I’m more looking forward to the sausge roll on the right wing.

What i’m saying is that his chances were limited. If the alternative to being loaned out to a decent club is sitting on the bench and hoping that everyone else above him is crap, it wouldn’t have been any different for Gnabry that season.

It was at the start of last season. I’m pretty sure both Walcott and Ramsey were available then…

Sadly right now that’s on reputation alone. I know you like your free flowing football that doesn’t have to score goals as long as it looks pretty (:joy_cat: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), but there is not very much evidence right now that he is.

Who are we talking about? I’m really confused if we’re still in 2016 or in 2015 ;D

Eh, have their replacements ready and I’m all for it. I’ve said before that I have slight hopes that the club won’t be renewing all the contracts that run out in 2 years and will maybe move some of the players on, given that not all of them have performed to the required level.

So Boscombe pick up his wages plus a 2 million fee , would have pregferred no fee and a loan untill xmas .
Pound wise and penny foolish !

I think a lot of supporters are like you, and have him as their favourite player because he is the best home grown player we have had for a long time, and he clearly loves the club.

I can remember when we sold Brady it was a bit of a shock because he was easily our best player, but the only good thing was he went abroad rather than a top club in this country.

With Wishere, he has gone from being a first team starter to a bench player, and given his talent and injury record, Wenger probably thought he needed regular football.
This would indicate he thinks Wilshere is behind players like Xakha, Coquelin, Elneny, Ramsey etc, and his playing time would be limited.

It might also mean Wenger has started to see that no matter how good a player is, if he is constantly injured then there is not much point in having them.

If he has a good season at Bournemouth, we might cash in on him, and with the inflated prices for English players, we could easily get 30m for him, especially after watching Sissoko and Bolasie go for around the same price.

I’m a bit gutted to see Jack holding up another shirt but if you put all the ‘he’s a proper gooner through and through’ stuff to one side and focus on the football this move makes sense to me.

If he tears it up on loan he’ll be back fighting fit for next season, and if he’s plagued by injury again nothing really changes except we’ve saved his wages to make sure the staff get paid. :wink:

From the reactions in this thread I swear some of you have been spending too much time on OA and your periods have synchronised.

3 Likes

It’s this sentence that confused me, PPB. I’ve always been talking about last season and then this. I realise though you’re talking about calendar years, where I was taking year to mean season.

As for the final chunk in the post I reply to, I guess our disagreement is simply this: I see Jack and Gnabry as upgrades on Ramsey and Ox, and you don’t?

So we just rate the players differently I suppose.

Nah, it’s just that we’re talking about 2 different points in time. One is now or this summer and the other with Gnabry is last summer and so it’s difficult at times to know about which season you’re talking. I mean, if we talk about when Gnabry was sent on loan, that was at the beginning of August 2015, which makes any hindsight argument of how Ramsey/Ox/Campbell or whoever you want to have replaced for him at the time a bit redundant as I’ve always been of the opinion that he should be go out on loan regardless.

Not really. I’m just not convinced that Jack and Gnabry are at the point where they’d be the definitely ahead of them. Talent-wise sure, I’m not going to argue against your point here as I don’t rate Ox that high and I honestly don’t know what level Ramsey is at this point, but if you want to talk about a full season of football it’s really just a matter of speculation right now as both Jack and Gnabry haven’t played a significant amount for at least 2 years and if it doesn’t work you’re basically just wasting another year for nothing while both could have had more playing time somewhere else.

1 Like

I think Jack is more talented than Coquelin, El Neny, and Ramsey. Cazorla will be 32 next season, so blindly I still feel Jack has a future at the club. But it’s always going to come down to his injuries, which is well noted.

Factor in IF Wenger does step away, looking waaay too far ahead since I am excited for this season, then Jack has to hope the next boss likes him and doesn’t have a clear out of players who aren’t good enough or don’t play enough. It says a lot that in perhaps Wenger’s last season he has loaned out his prized possession that he rates so highly.

I understand the loan, I just didn’t want it to happen.

Honestly don’t care if he stays or goes. Never had the same affinity that some arsenal fans have for him.

Really want him to have a great season and stay. Ramsey has his eyes abroad - he’ll get his time.

So he’s already an ex-Arsenal legend?

:sob:

1 Like

Expect @tone and @Craigie for a few visits to the Vitality and give us an update on Wilshere, of course going on match days when Arsenal isn’t playing at the same time haha.

@LoTheGooner maybe you don’t get it in Murica but that’s what MoTD is for :wink:

Even his number is depressing.

I feel so heart broken with Wilshere not making it here. Sigh.

Symbolic as fuck… He must feel like he has to start over so he reverted back to his number 32. Or like he just likes 32 for some reason.

1 Like