Jack Wilshere

I think we can all agree that there’s something very wrong with our medical and conditioning departments.

There’s also probably something wrong with how Arsene runs training. I recall an article a few years ago detailing just how much running (intense running) we do during training.

Jack is one of the last vestiges of Project Youth and he’s managed to overlap with the British Core project as well but he just can’t stay healthy. I don’t really understand why the tabloids hate him as much as they appear to (although if he played for any other team I’d probably hate him too. It’s the tattoos, the swagger, the fouling).

What would be perfect is if he goes on loan, stays healthy and returns to Arsenal next year to fight for his place under a new manager. This loan looks like Arsene doesn’t know what to do with Jack and is afraid to sell him, so he’s hedging his bets.

It would be SO galling to see him get healthy and stay healthy out of the clutches of our medical and conditioning staff.

I wish him the best of luck but a loan under Arsene usually mean he’s ready to get rid but doesn’t know how to pull the trigger.

https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/lQ2S3/1/

2 Likes

Also, let’s be serious. The minute the ink is dry on the loan deal Xhaka is going to snap every ligament in his knee. Ramsey can’t stay healthy either and the manager doesn’t trust Coq anymore.

:facepalm:

It makes me shake my head when people give shit to the medical department tbh

The type of staff we have working for us are highly experienced and highly qualified individuals subject to rigorous scrutiny from all angles, they’re dealing with assets worth millions of pounds, a club like Arsenal just don’t cut corners when it comes to the medical department or fitness and conditioning, they leave no stone unturned.

There are load of other reason why our players suffer from persistent muscle injuries, there only so much the medical staff can do

This is the very top end sports physiotherapy, what would the common fan know about it? Ignorance of sports physiotherapy make the medical department an scapegoat

1 Like

Arsene hasn’t been at the forefront of turning over backroom staff. There was a big fuss made when we brought in a new conditioning expert.

Maybe I’m not articulating my point well enough. Our club is bad at managing both the conditioning/fitness aspects of the game and squad rotation. Arsene typically leaves the squad one or two players short banking on long term injury absences to replenish the squad. That puts more of a burdern on healthy players who can’t get rotated out or who Arsene refuses to rotate out. (Remember how exhausted Giroud looked at the end of the season?)

I just think there are other clubs that manage this side of the game better. And if people want to tl;dr this into “buy more players and have a bigger squad” I suppose that’s okay too. :coq:

1 Like

If Juve pay his wages we can hire the overnight cleaning staff back on! Wenger won’t let our 600 employees down!

1 Like

The reason I didn’t mention either of those two is because I really don’t want to break up that Cazorla, Xhaka partnership that sits deep, and Wilshere is a superior player to Ramsey in that #10 role, miles better imo.

1 Like

Coquelin, Xhaka
Ramsey, Elneny
Ozil, Cazorla, Iwobi

Fair to say we do have personnel & it makes sense for a normal club.

But we are Arsenal & we lose all our players to injuries, so i am paranoid.

It will be hilarious when he goes out on loan and plays 30+ games & we suffer our mid season Injury Crisis and are starting Reine Adelaide lol.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t mind seeing him go to Ajax on loan

Bollocks. A loan at this stage of his career is just a nonsense.

3 Likes

Loaning Wilshere, while Oxlade-Chamberlain is starting games :wilshere:

5 Likes

Lets not go hysterical just yet. Wilshere could have easily pushed for this loan - he obviously needs games.

The loan could be a short one for all we know; till Christmas perhaps. And as long there’s a recall option, it won’t affect an injury crisis if and when it happens.

Wilshere hasn’t come off the bench for us and done anything of note for ages. Now he’s going on loan and everyone’s going ape lol.

1 Like

BBC Confirm it

He needs games. In his current state, he wont get them at the club. So he either pushes for a transfer, or a loan.

I prefer the loan option.

I’m sure most of us are in agreement that Wilshere needs a loan, for his own good, the club’s and the country’s (for those interested in how Team England do, anyway).

The issues are 1) where is he going to go? and 2) will he ever come back and play for Arsenal again?

I think in terms of 1) we’d like to see him go abroad and there was interest from Valencia in January while Neville was still manager there, but that ship may have sailed. You’d hope the Club wouldn’t be stupid enough to loan him to a major rival…but then this is the Club / manager that deemed it acceptable to sell van Persie to the Mancs. I don’t think Jack’s got it in him to go abroad a la Joe Hart, Micah Richards, Joe Cole even, let’s see if he proves me wrong.

In terms of 2), I’m pretty certain he’s done at this club. We all love Jack to varying degrees but he’s 24 now and really has fallen as low as 6th choice midfielder, certainly 3rd in the creative stakes behind Xhaka and Cazorla at least (who hopefully gets a new deal at some point this season). It’s not about making profit on Wilshere, because it simply doesn’t matter to a club of this size whether we get £20m, £30m, £40m, or £50m+ for a player anymore: it’s already been demonstrated now how every English club can spunk the required transfer fee they want around Europe now, so long as the player is willing to come.

I expect Jack to get his loan move, good luck to him, but I think Wenger’s finally lose patience with his fitness. It will be interesting to see if the guy can stay fit once he’s away from Arsenal or not (a la van Persie), if so then another damning indictment of our injury record as a club…

You can’t keep 6 senior players around for 2 positions, it’s only surprising that one of them hasn’t kicked off before now. Maybe it took the Joe Hart situation to shock Jack into action. The more I think about this, the more I realise Jack WIlshere hasn’t done anything meaningful for Arsenal FC for a looooooong time and a parting of the ways is a good move.

For me it also represents a significant blow to the BritishCore experiement.

4 Likes

Has there ever been a better player gone out on loan?
He would walk into most sides out of the top four.
Seems strange, but it would indicate that Wilshere is not a big part of Wenger’s plans, especially with the signings of Xakha and Elneny, as well as him preferring Coquelin.
Perhaps Wenger has learned that trying to build a team which relies on players that are constantly injured, doesn’t work.

Whats happened is Wilshere has seen he’s been overlooked by England and thought fuck this I need games.

Hodgson was picking Jack even if he was in a wheelchair. Looks like he won’t have it easy under fat Sam.

5 Likes

Today’s Arseblog post sums it up nicely. The benefits of him going out on loan are clear for him, however for us there’s no such clear advantage.

As the article says, if we get to January and Jack has stayed fit but hardly played there’d be a case for a loan move. Until then he should compete for a place and we’ll get the benefit of some actual squad depth for once.

1 Like

I thought he was still the best wing option. Even if he doesn’t want to play there.