Phones Thread

I’m on iPhone 8.

I hate the Samsung interface. I want to swap my iPhone for Android & and my other half has a Samsung and I can’t stand the interface. Not intuitive and so bloated.

I want to switch from iPhone to Pixel 2, but it’s just as expensive, no finance option and only on EE. I like the sticks android- it’s so quick and intuitive. I’m contemplating the OnePlus 6- I know the camera isn’t as good, but it’s the closest pure android experience you can get without the Pixel and soooo much cheaper.

And they update it as often as Arsenal change managers.

2 Likes

I have it. It’s great.

1 Like

I use a OnePlus 5 with Nova Launcher. Still like it!

So yeah, get the OP 6.

1 Like

I didn’t want a contract and couldn’t afford a new one, so I opted for a used Pixel (original). I’m liking it so far. Love that I never have to worry about space as my photos automatically get backed up to google photos with unlimited space!!!

I did check out the OP6 and was quite impressed. Also liked the P20 (fab photos in low light). But as I haven’t gone back to work yet, I was limited to £200 or less. Got the Pixel for £160.

Ha I didn’t know that comment was 2 month old.

The thread came as a suggestion

Any Pocophone F1 users here?

I don’t, but I’m gonna change the thread title to make it more general about smartphones

1 Like

Very late to the party, but I’m one of the few people I know who carry both. I have an iPhone 8 for work and an LG G5 for my personal phone. The G5 is ooooold. But I love it. It has a fantastic camera. For people who say that Andriod has a lot of bloat. So do iPhones, Apple is just better at hiding it.

Not quite a smart phone but I never thought I’d be a smart watch person. I’ve had my Samsung galaxy watch paired with my Galaxy s9+ for a week and its brilliantly convenient and also a very good looking watch.

Used it this past weekend whilst out on the mountain bike trails and deleted the need to have the phone on me and worrying about smashing it to bits, I also used the watch to track and map my ride.

One plus 6 owner here.
I absolutely love this device. Feels so premium at a decent cost

2 Likes

The smartphone market has really come a long way when people are convinced £450 is a decent cost :mustafi:

I think phones are currently cheaper in India but I remember buying Samsung’s first two “flagships” for like £200 and loving them, then when Samsung’s flagships went up to £600 I got the “flagship killer” Oneplus 2 for £250, and now the latest Oneplus is £500 :expressionless:. It’s probably partly to do with the shitty exchange rate but these things just go up so quickly.

2 Likes

Yeah there’s no real justification for the price of phones these days. I’m happy with my mid level Huawei for less than 200 quid because there really isn’t a huge difference between it and some of the higher end stuff. Not in a way that I’d notice from my own phone useage anyway.

2 Likes

@Craigie I got the OnePlus One for exactly the same reason. A Phone which flagship specs for €100-200 less at the time. The OnePlus 6 is still a bit cheaper, but €550 for a phone is too much. That’s why my interest in the Pocophone.

@shamrockgooner I think that goes for 60/70% of all people if not more. Yet everybody wants the newest phones.

1 Like

I got a refurbished Sony Xperia XA2 a couple weeks ago and love it. I was on a 28 quid a month two year contract with 3, 300 mins, 8gb. Contract ended so threatened to leave till they have me 8gb and unlimited calls for ten a month sim only. Then went to giffgaff and got this Sony phone for 5 a month. So practically halved my bill and got a better new phone.

Had a couple of Samsung Galaxies and a Huawei before this but am glad to return to an Xperia, had one ages ago and really like them. Like others I just don’t feel the need to have a top of the line phone, they offer me nothing cheaper ones don’t.

I should be getting the iPhone XS Max next week. I can’t ever see myself deviating from Apple again after a brief foray into the world of Samsung about 5 years ago

Trust me 450 pounds is expensive for me for something which will last 2 years or so; while I stretched my Motorolas & Nokias for 3 years at half the cost.
I thought 450pounds must have been an average price for you guys, so I used to word ‘decent’. Very pretentious of me.

Phones in India are of same rates as everywhere since they are not manufactured here. Infact iPhones are costlier compared to their rate in US & UK, due to lack of contract system.

I always advocated for Motorola mobiles because it cost me 160 pounds and I was completely happy with it.
That said I understand the cost to some extent, given priority deployment of Android OS updates, Oneplus R&D cost of Oxygen OS, Marketing, adding additional features like water resistance & everything.
These smaller details which seem insignificant can add to the cost.

Here’s a general question (not directed at you) -
Brand loyalty and not just restricted to Apple, just Brand loyalty in general.

Do you think it allows organizations to manipulate & overprice their customers?
or
Do you think it allows organizations to be more brave & bring more innovation to the masses because they not have the financial might to bear the cost?

I am bit torn between this.