Henrikh Mkhitaryan

How? This is based on absolutely nothing and seems more like clutching at straws. Him getting fat is more unlikely than not.

If you said that about someone like Higuain I could buy it.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s no point guessing how long youā€™ll get out of a player. It depends on lingering injuries and future injuries as much as anything. Something we have no idea about.

Right now Mkhitaryan seems to have elite pace and stamina, so he could go on for years. Maybe in the future heā€™ll play deeper though

Not ideal, but apart from their big names, he is one of United players i would have taken.

I donā€™t understand why people are so down on this deal. There was more excitement at signing Danny Welbeck.

This is the best player we have signed since Alexis Sanchez. This is the most Wenger player weā€™ve signed since Ozil.

Heā€™s not going to do what Alexis did but Iā€™m expecting him to be more of a Nasri-level signing which is certainly good enough.

11 Likes

Honestly having Mkhi and Ozil in the team might be more beneficial for us with the way Lacazette plays.

This could turn out to be a really good move, and itā€™s really low risk as well.

Add Auba in to it, and we start having a creative attack that can also finish.

Now we just need to shore up defensively, good luck with that I guess.

3 Likes

I think Laca will benefit most from this swap deal tbh. Heā€™ll actually have quality creators who have a team playing mindset to facilitate him in the final third.

He can do his job and poach goals without having to drop deep.

1 Like

Since he came to prominence at Dortmund and Iā€™ve felt the need to know how to type his name Iā€™ve used ā€œMichael Keaton hit Aryanā€ as thereā€™s nothing wrong with punching a Nazi, and I like to imagine that it is Tim Burtonā€™s Batman doing it.

I have never told anyone that before because I honestly never thought anyone else would be weird enough to come up with such a ridiculous way of remembering how to spell a players name.

2 Likes

Hope itā€™s announced today

1 Like

No one said so about Higuain before he actually got fat.
I just have a hunch.

Mkhitaryanā€™s age is a problem, itā€™s not guaranteed heā€™s going to perform the way he did from his last season at Dortmund, which was 3 years ago, thereā€™s a possibility heā€™s past his peak having already struggled at United, the thought of a 30 year old Mkhitaryan starting for us screams a lack of ambition

Great post.
This should have been sorted out last summer.
It was obvious we would get a lot more money from Man City, and we could have got a very good replacement who would have had a full season with us.

As it is, we have wasted yet another season, because it was obvious Sanchez wanted a move, and that has been reflected in a lot of his performances.
We have also had to sell to Man U, which has strengthened them and weakened us, as if we needed to give them any more advantage over us.

Saying that he has got the best out of an appalling situation but we have definitely downgraded on Sanchez with Mkhitayran.
Letā€™s hope he can get some respectability out of this transfer window by getting Aubameyang, who is genuinely a top quality player.

Wenger has handled this situation with Sanchez very badly, and he still has the embarrassment of trying to persuade Ozil to stay.
It seems as if he is like a moth, flying repeatedly into a light bulb, never learning from previous mistakes.

1 Like

Youā€™re right.
He is the best player we have signed since Sanchez.
But the problem is, he isnā€™t going to be playing with Sanchez, he is replacing him, which is a downgrade.
We never seem to have more than one or two elite players at the same time at the club.

The only reason we are getting Mkhitayran is because Sanchez is leaving.
Most top managers buy top quality players to go with the ones they already have.
Wenger only buys top quality players to replace the ones that are leaving.

No it was 18 months ago and maybe he will or wonā€™t hit the level he was at Dortmund. The level he was performing at United was still better than anyone not named Alexis/Ozil.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure it is. We played better yesterday without Sanchez and often have played better without him. Mkhitaryan maybe more suited to our playing style.

1 Like

Medical today, announcement tomorrow.

Itā€™s a downgrade we have just made something decent out of a shambolic situation we got ourselves into.

It could work out like that.
I really wanted us to sign Mkhitayran a couple of seasons ago but we lost out to Man U.
But he is a top player.
Sanchez was the best player in the PL last season but like you say he isnā€™t a team player in the way Ozil is for us although Sanchez individual talent won us a lot of points.

It could work out that Mkhitayran, Ozil, Lacazette and possibly Aubameyang could form a very good attacking unit, and Sanchez could disrupt any harmony Man U have.
Letā€™s hope so.

Dont see how this can be a downgrade on Sanchez when he clearly has given up on us. Have no faith with just getting money would have got us a player of this ability the way we go about transfers.

4 Likes

Yeah itā€™s a downgrade on 16/17 Sanchez but obviously Sanchez has already checked out this season.

A lot of signings would have been a down grade on that imo. Sanchez only played like that to get a move.