(Spoilers) House of the Dragon/Game of Thrones

Watching Danaerys on the back of the dragons really annoys me. Ever since I first saw it I can’t help but feel it looks fucking stupid.

1 Like

I couldn’t enjoy anything after that Arya scene. Almost as bad as her instant regeneration last season.

Considering this is a show that spent 50 episodes making you feel for the misfortunes of house Stark and want them to catch a break, I’d really love all of them to be burned by dragons, raped by littefinger, raped by Cersei’s monster, frozen by winter, zombied by zombies or trampled by horselords.

1 Like

Wait what. Why is that?

I thought the Arya scene was one of the scenes of the episode if it hadn’t been for the dragon action at the end.

5 Likes

I don’t know, I think it’s most likely relatively weak dialog delivered by child actors that grew up to be not very good. I just can’t believe in any of them or feel anything for them the way I did for the likea of Ned and Catelyn and I find them more annoying than anything now. Everything around Wintefell just feels weak this season.

Think of the good actors who’ve gone, Ned, Cat, Tywin, Olenna, old Lord Commander, Robert, Thorne, Mance, Pycelle I really liked all these performance but new characters aren’t being introduced so we’re left with Jon, Dany, Bran, Sansa in scenes not being propped up by others and the quality of drama is lower (imo at least).

2 Likes

For me it just sums up where this show has come to. Cheap thrills for fans for the sake of “awesomeness”. For me it would have been better for Arya to start beating Brienne with her showboating, only for Brienne to lose her cool midway through and just flatten Arya with a backhand, breaking a tooth or something and her struggling to get back up to show she’s still a small girl and has to be smarter about these things. You’d still know she was a capable fighter but not invincible. She wasn’t even taught to swordfight on her trip, she was taught to blend in and murder. But no, in Dragonball Z style she’s disappeared into the chamber, done some irrelevant sit ups and is now not just a good fighter but somehow the greatest fighter in the world.

To put it another way, there’s no way this scene would have happened in season 1-4, when people were praising this show for the unexpected and stuff you didn’t want to happen happening. In fact I remember now a scene (season 4 or 5) with her being a shitty fighter and stabbing the hound and being unable to pierce his mail and him giving her a whack and putting her in her place. But now we’re meant to know that Arya is a serious badass because she’s matched the other character this show has been trying to convince us is a serious badass.

If they’re building her up for a fall where she ends up dead from being cocky then it’s well done but I doubt that’s where they’re going with it.

But anyway, I won’t stick around here and lower the tone for you guys anymore. I am sorry to be a misery, I’m just very disappointed that a show that was once my favourite (or at least top 2) is now mediocre to me in everything but expensive CGI. I appreciate it must be my own problem.

3 Likes

I could’ve sworn Arya was sword training in in the second season when her father was in the capital and the other time when she was planning on becoming nobody.

But I feel your overall sentiment. If you read the books (Some people I know have) the show might feel like a letdown in the direction it’s taken.

She was sword training wasn’t she? With the Spanish guy? I forget his name though…reminded me a little of Zorro :joy::joy:

pretty sure arya been learning to use a sword from episode 1and then she has learnt from everybody else over the past 7 years so not surprised she’s becoming impressive at sword fighting

1 Like

Syrio Forel! He teaches her the Braavosi Water Dance in season 1. Ever since then, Arya has the skills to practice this technique and it’s as if she fights against it/goes back to it throughout the seasons. Especially last season with the waif.

That scene with Brienne was a showcase of her talents, Sansa and Little Finger surprised and maybe partially threatened? Anyway, really cool and I think she earnt Brienne’s respect :kosc:

3 Likes

@Craigie suppose it’s also worth reminding everyone that it was a spar…

Think @Craigie 's mind is made up :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

5 Likes

Dracorbys

5 Likes

3 Likes

Just finally saw the episode. To be honest, I loved it. I’m not going to get great storytelling or plots that make sense, or subtle character development from D & D so might as well enjoy the suspense of Dragons, and Bronn firing super arrows, and all the stupid awesomeness of big battles.

Personally I liked the Arya stuff. Obviously @Craigie is right, it was dumb as fuck, but I’m so sick of Arya being wasted that its just nice to see her be a bit badass.

Cersei is surely going to fall end of season, because there isn’t any way she is defeating three dragons, with all the best and favourite characters bar Jaime, against her. So her and Jaime to die end of season and the wall to fall? That’s a pretty predictable and lame ending, but I don’t see anything else happening. The only way a White walker versus humans united is going to be fun is if the White walkers are more than just zombies, and actually have some point.

Side note: how did Daenarys and the Dothraki get the Reach so fucking fast?? Weren’t they on Dragonstone the day before??? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the sea.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Somehow Gendry is here.

2 Likes

Penguin team six.