Francis Coquelin

This is not good at all. 2 months? Wish him a quicker recovery for his own sake as well. Coq still has something I haven’t seen in neither Elneny nor Xhaka yet in terms of defensive mentality and the stability he offered, but maybe it is also the duties they’re given tactically. Oh well, bummer. Get well soon.

2 Likes

Chelsea took over greater possession of the ball around about the time when Coquelin was subbed.

That said, our squad is of the greatest quality and depth it’s been in a decade (my view anyway) so we will absorb this comfortably.

1 Like

Injury ruined his season last year, took him ages to back to form and now another long absence on the sidelines.

1 Like

Don’t think Olley is ITK but looking at him he’s at least out for 2 months, maybe 6, hopefully not the season. At least this year we have Xhaka and Elneny and not Flamini

http://m.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Arsenal-une-blessure-moins-grave-que-prevu-pour-francis-coquelin/731183

15 days according to L’Equipe, but tbh I don’t think that’s true.

1 Like

Two months wouldn’t be that bad. Any official news yet?

Problem is when 2 months turns into 3 months and then “easing back in” for another month, basically means we can’t count on him until February…

1 Like

Well, we Xhaka to cover for him now :slight_smile:

YES!!!

4 Likes

If true thats a pleasant surprise, Arsenal not getting worst case results in regards to a scan.

A long term injury to Coquelin is, as is always the case with Arsenal, potentially season defining.

We need him fit and available and thats that really.

We’re talking about one player. That has to be manageble for a club like Arsenal. Especially with our experiences in the past considering injuries.

A long term injury to an individual will apply pressure to the others in that position. We have seen it time and time again at Arsenal. While we do seem to have a strong depth, we still need a fully fit squad with no injuries to really compete.

I’m dreading the words ‘red zone’, and want as much rotation as possible in the build up to christmas.

5 Likes

Because we have seen it time and time again we should have made the right adjustments in personnel and preparation/training. Which we did with the purchase of Elneny. The loss of one player, who arguably is not even a starter if not a very important squad member, should not decimate our chances of competing. You can’t expect all 26 players to be fit for ~34 games.

CONFIRMATION!

1 Like

Sweet! 3 weeks is alright. Internationals and a list of fixtures that look ok on paper, we’ll manage!

1 Like

Three weeks have NEVER been three weeks with Arsenal, though.

It’s a dog eat dog world though, if Mo Elneny comes in and does well, I wouldn’t be in a rush to just give Coquelin his place back.

Elneny with Xhaka was very impressive up at Forest, yes an average Championship side but both are still relative newcomers and the transition was seamless.

Great news indeed. I’d still remain somewhat hesitant that this may back fire in our face. Brilliant to have Elneny though, lovely addition that. He seems to have that hunger to prove himself whilst not being a solid first-teamer. He’s not that bad at ze futbol either.

So I guess we won’t be seeing him till February. Lol. On a more serious note I wouldn’t mind sticking with xhaka and el nenny if they play well. Could be an interesting partnership