Francis Coquelin

If you don’t like Coq, eat a dick :ox:

7 Likes

OK thats impressive… nobody can say thats not fucking impressive… wow. Kudos to the Coq

1 Like

That statistic is definitely worth a post but at the same time it’s pretty misleading, because we know the nature of the passes Coquelin is making in the final third (and he’s very much just on the edge of it for the majority of them).

2 Likes

What’s that based on exactly?

So impressive. He has really stepped up his passing since 2014.

Performance on the field.

1 Like

How many assists with those final 3rd passes may I ask ?

:roll_eyes:

Not that Garth Crooks is the messiah of football. But Kante has made his team of the week on 4 occasions already this season. Off memory, I don’t think Coquelin has made any. And if he has, it certainly isn’t 4. Kante is better than Coquelin. Last season, this season, next season and for many more years to come.

It’s like Arsenal fans are blinded by the quality of our own players. Kante would have been the perfect upgrade on Coquelin. The key word always being upgrade. Because that’s what he is.

But let me guess Arsenal plays don’t get the proper recognition so that’s why Coquelin misses out on the individual recognition whereas Kante is a product of the Leicester hype train last season.

I remember a couples years back inesta was pullin the same numbers in the final third and got 0 assist yet everybody was still fauning over him. You should ask how many has lead to goal scoring chances or was the initial pass before the assist, because I bet it would come from an interception or a tackle high up the pitch that sets up the chance

Your basing off team of the week really? Have you not thought because these past few games we just dominated so not so much light has been shed on our defensive work? Because we have kept so many clean sheet which goes unmentioned. Plus Chelsea has been dire so he would have to do more work? You are the one down playing our player so far this season coq has been better than kante

2 Likes

Dude, come on. Garth Crooks’ team of the week for BBC is one of he biggest running jokes in football. His selections are appalling and his line ups are completely incoherent. His opinion and columns aren’t to be respected in the slightest.

1 Like

The basis of your claim of Kante being better than Coquelin this season, is immensely stupid.

1 Like

They’re incomparable.

Kante moved to a failing club, with a new coach who’s never coached in this league, playing new styles every week.

Coquelin maintained his place at a club he’s been at for years, under the same manager he’s always had, playing the same sort of role he’s been playing for a few years.

If you put Coquelin in the Chelsea squad this year he’d probably not be the same Coquelin we’ve seen, for a little while at least.

2 Likes

I am ready to bet that if Coquelin was playing in the Italian league he’d be classified as one of the best DMs in the world on here, but alas he plays for poor old Arsenal so he shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same breath as someone like Kante and his performances aren’t even comparable to Kante last season, this season, next season and for many more years to come.

4 Likes

Your post is riddled with excuses as to why Coquelin has not been lauded in the same light Kante has but none of them are particularly valid. I seem to remember a huge number of people on the forum last year wanting to upgrade on Coquelin because of the on/off season he had with form and injuries.

Like I said he isn’t the messiah of football, it was just an example of the continued recognition Kante continues to receive and obviously disputes the ridiculous notion that he hasn’t played well for Chelsea this season. I can guarantee that 95% of people who think he isn’t playing well for Chelsea only really saw him play in the Arsenal game and completely discounted the fact he’d just moved to a team that finished mid table last season and were adjusting to their new managers philosophy.

And for those who don’t know, and are more than welcome to go through the archives of the old forum, I have been a huge advocate of Coquelin for years. I never wanted him to be farmed out on loan as often as he was and I genuinely believed and still do believe he’s a good player who has a lot to offer us. I knew he would play an important role in the team when given the opportunity and I was correct in that regard.

But I am not blinded by my love for Arsenal that I can’t see that Kante is an obvious upgrade on Coquelin. He is a more rounded player, he reads the game better and last season he helped play an important role in how Leicester launched their counter attacks too. He’s a good player, with many qualities and unfortunately as much as it pains me to admit it he is better than Coquelin.

This is in line with Schneiderlin is better than Coquelin debate.

1 Like

Please provide the stats the provides the claim he is a huge upgrade; there is a lot of talk like any good debate stats is required to prove your point.

Stats aren’t a requirement for a good debate mate. And the notion that stats and stats alone are required to prove a point is completely wrong.

But, since you asked… I’ve done a little number on Squawka for you that shows that Kante leads Coquelin in pretty much every area.

Don’t know how to save it but for the 2016/17 season thus far… Kante leads Coquelin in interceptions, tackles won, passes per game, key passes, interceptions, blocks, clearances, chances created, passes completed, tackles won.

And his overall “defence score” is significantly higher than Coquelin too.

So since you want to bring stats into it… Kante is statistically superior to Coquelin in almost every way.

He is defensively better. Offensively better. What more do you need?

You are talking about these squawka stats?

http://www.squawka.com/football-player-rankings#performance-score#player-stats#english-premier-league|season-2016/2017#all-teams#all-player-positions#16#41#0#0#90#13/08/2016#28/10/2016#season#1#all-matches#total

Kante is ranked 12th in there, ahead of Ozil who is at 17th spot.
Where is Coquelin? 122nd rank

You have to question Squawka after those fuckups.

Tackles and interceptions etc are imo a little limited when judging a DM.

Consider if a teams style of play concedes possession a lot, the DM will get inflated numbers.

Stats don’t really account for the DM having positional awareness, blocking passing opportunities etc.

Based on watching them both I truely do not believe there is any kind of notable gap in ability.