Chelsea

He made a couple of mistakes, got injured and lost his place. Was ridiculously written off and fell foul of the stupid over 30 contract issue and it ended up that he left the club.

Jens was a solid keeper and proved it when used again later in the 07/08 season. We were a winning side up until February that year and I guess there was a reluctance to change that but for me he should have been back between the sticks as soon as he returned from injury.

4 Likes

To be fair we were doing really well(despite Almunia, and I think Almunia saved a Spurs penalty in that run) so at the time, it really didn’t feel right to make the change after he was dropped.

It felt right to me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He came back 3 seasons later in 10/11 and was still decent enough (far better than any option we had apart from Woj) so I’d agree with Sham here

1 Like

Read they want Bonucci in january. Juventus are surely gonna sell him in that period :wenger:

I wonder if Conte is struggling to adjust his tactics to the speed of the Premier League and the specifically the level of high pressing. His background is entirely in Italy and in internationals, where you get more time on the ball, especially when bringing it out of defense. Swansea, Liverpool, and Arsenal have now all gotten results against them and all three are clubs that press very aggressively (at least we were on Saturday). Part of the problem is clearly with the personnel - Ivanovic and Cahill in particular just aren’t very good on the ball. But Chelsea also just looked kind of clueless at times, like they didn’t have much of a plan for how to break the press. Or, when Plan A for playing it out on the ground got closed off, they didn’t have a Plan B other than kicking it back to Courtois and having him hoof it toward Costa.

2 Likes

Haha, He played just one game. That too against Blackpool.
Talk about exaggeration.

I honestly think that group of chelsea players are rotten. I think they’ve assembled a horrible squad and haven’t really brought well in the summer either. Whether that’s down to Conte or their board I’m not too sure

2 Likes

The best part of all is that it seems Roman meddles a lot and he is getting the wrong players and managers. Now also what seems to be happening is that he is looking less interested in spending his own money or being as extravagant as he was with splashing the cash, They probably need at least 1/2 a new squad and I don’t see anyone really wanting to go there now which is going to make a BIG difference especially if they are out of the CL this season. There are a LOT of their players that should really be retiring or dont seem to want to be there and unfortunately (or fortunately for the rest of the epl lol) they seem to be the players they need to rely on the most their big names like Hazard and Courtois Could this be the start of the decline of Chavski? I really hope so, but we aren’t that lucky!

Sad thing is, it really isn’t that hard to find your way into the top 4, so even if they struggle but manage to get things right ENOUGH, they can get back. I hope they do implode, but they still have some decent players - they just look disjointed as f*ck and are missing something right now, combined with a couple of key aging positions.

Wouldn’t write them off completely yet, but signs are good that at least for this year again they will struggle to break into top 4.

He spend 115 million pounds last summer. I don’t think he doesn’t want to spend. Since the emergence of City it’s just harder to find good players and/or actually sign them. Even for Chelsea.

did they…fucking hell, you wouldnt have guessed it, spent it on utter garbage for the most part then!

Given today’s prices, I have absolutely no problem with Kante at 30M or Batshuayi at 33M. Even David Lols for 33M isn’t the worst transfer in the world.

I think the bigger problem is that they are carrying too many substandard players who have either declined significantly with age (Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic, Fabregas) or who were capable within specific and limited roles in Mourinho’s 14-15 team but whose lack of quality has since been exposed (Matic, Oscar, Azpilicueta). Overall, the team seems very sluggish and just not fast and athletic enough - especially in midfield and defense - to keep up with high paced opponents like Liverpool and Arsenal. They really need a substantial squad overhaul.

Cesc looks less than half the player he was for us.

3 Likes

It seems like players are weirdly depressed.
Hazard has lost the motivation to be world’s best.
Oscar once a promising prodigy is now Ander Herrera esque figure(promising performances but ends up on bench anyway).
Matic is now Mikel reincarnated.

2 Likes

30m for Kante is not good business. He’s a hyped Coquelin tbh, in comparison we got Xhaka for 35m…

You dont think Coq is worth 30m?

They have declined and they won’t be back soon. The players just aren’t good enough or young enough. They need 2 new CBs, Terry’s old and slow and need to be in a parked bus, Luiz isn’t a defender really and Cahill has been error prone for some time. They need a new RB, Ivanovich is totally past it. Their CMs are pretty limited. Matic is decent but nowhere near where he was 2 seasons ago. Fabregas is past it but their only creative force, yet can’t defend or run at pace. Kante is a great runner but forget about him unlocking a defense. Their only elite winger or player is Hazard, who hasn’t been as good for over a season. Oscar is well below Ozil, Mkhitaryan, Silva, Cazorla, Mata, Countinho and . Costa and Baty boy are good but not great strikers

It’s only going to get worse, 9 of their players are 29 or older

1 Like

It doesn’t really matter what I think he’s worth tbh. He wouldn’t fetch that in the market I know that much. If Arsenal won the league this year with Coq on form then he’d probably be valued around there.

As much as I’d like to believe Chelsea are just a bunch of old players past their best or not even good enough, I will wait a little longer because I just don’t see it and I don’t want to get my hopes that high.

They are a bunch of spoiled cunts who got rid of Mourinho because they are cunts. But (IF) as soon as they start believing in Conte the attitude will change and they will improve because they DO have good players.

I don’t think you can turn to shit overnight. Matic was considered the best DM 2 seasons ago? We were comparing Coquelin to him. Kante is a great addition. Fabregas past his best? probably but he’s still a damn good player. Willian was their best player last season and I know it doesn’t say much but he’s decent. Hazard is a lazy cunt but if he clicks with Conte he will be back to his best tormenting defenders. The Neanderthal up front will score goals and that Batshuani or wathever he’s called looks decent at least. The defence… yep, that’s a big issue for them, Zouma is good and Cahill could improve but the thing about the defence is not preciselly the personnel (wich is Chelsea weak point) but actually Conte and his experience. If he gets it right and the players believe in his system they could improve. Curtois is still a good keeper.

Don’t get me wrong I will enjoy this moment, every second of it hoping it’ll last forever and I repeat: I would love for them to collapse badly but I won’t get my hopes that high yet.