Arsène Wenger

So it’s harder now to finish top 4 (top 2 or 3 more often than 4th as well)

Back then if you weren’t in the running for the title teams wouldn’t be pushing as hard to get in their so it wasn’t as competitive

Depends how you look at it. The Man City rhetoric that has been used a lot about our lack of competitivesness in the League can be applied on a level lower too. F.e. we have more (financial) means than the other 16 clubs in the League therefore it’s easier for us to make top four just like it’s easier for City too win the League.

3 Likes

We have more money than other clubs because we consistently play in CL.
If clubs like Tottenham, Everton, Villa had managed to do so, they would have had as much money as we do as well.
So it’s a circle - perform, earn, make your life easier.
Didn’t stop Liverpool, United, Chelsea to make their life hard though.

1 Like

But it’s also a circle that’s very hard, if not impossible, to be broken. Especially in this day and age where big clubs are protected. The new rule of UEFA where the top 4 finishing clubs from the top 4 countries are going to get automatic entrance to the Champions League is an example of that.

City found a rich owner, we made the most of our potential (being in North London gives us a geographic advantage).

Bad seasons can happen. But I’ve said it before Wenger should get some credit for consistency.

1 Like

It can be argued that its harder to be consistent over 20 years than to win the odd title. That’s why whatever happens, Wenger should be respected greatly.

1 Like

Yeah that may be true but if it was a choice of 5 top 4 finishes over a 10 year period mixed in with 2 titles or 10 finishes 2nd-4th I know what one I’d take.

It can also be argued that long time managing has its advantages when it comes to short/mid/long term planing as everything at the club (training ground, squad, youth development, etc) is build around the ideas of Wenger. Not that it isn’t an achievement that he managed to be this consistent, but it definitely makes it a little easier than coming into a job with the requirement of producing results immediately.

Do the same thing with FA Cups,

20 Years Wenger - 6
20 years Prior - 2

So you’re saying it’s harder today or we didn’t bother in the past. Teams still wanted to win games, qualify for UEFA Cup and have bragging rights over rivals. Earnings would be decided by league standing to.

Wenger brought us up a level and has kept us pretty high compared to our relative history. You could say the same about Graham to but overall he wasn’t as successful and he didn’t compete in an era of oil barrons.

1 Like

But surely you have to earn the right to be that man that the club rely on. Wenger made an instant impact on his arrival which laid the foundations to build on.

1 Like

Definitely. Just saying that when you’re 10-15 years into managing a club everything’s basically set-up the way you want it to have, which makes a job easier compared to changing things in a matter of couple of months or even 1-2 years. Obviously he’s earned the right to be that man though as he did a really good job for a long time.

1 Like

England offering Wenger the England job again, he’s not interested

Why would he be interested in England job when he can have the French one?

So, one more title? Wow, Wenger is just SO SO good.

That one more title was the Invincible one though, so that alone counts as 5.
Total 7 titles.

:smile:

I think he would get more recognition if he turns England into a good team. I say a good team because England is way mediocre right now. Besides the French side sulk too much and you really wonder can you change their mentality, they have the talent but the pedigree gets in the way.

One thing I’m more annoyed about is Eddie Howe being linked with Arsenal or/and the England job. The guy has not reached that level yet. Much prefer someone internal in Arsenal to take over than some Eddie Howe who betrayed Bournemouth and only to return later.

Very weak

Very scary thought having one of Wenger’s yes men taking over after him tbh, i’d rather have Howe over any internal appointment.

On Howe I think he’d be an utter disaster. One thing that i’m particularly wary of post Wenger is player power. We’ve largely been isolated from full scale revolts mainly because of Wenger’s excellent man management and stature. Under all 3 managers at United post SAF there’s been consistent leaks which undermine the manager in public. The way the United players turned on Moyes towards the end was shocking.

Cannot see the likes of Ozil and Alexis responding well to someone like Howe, They’d take advantage of his inexperience, his lack of stature and his lack of job security and eat him alive by pushing boundaries.

3 Likes

Are we talking about your reply here?

Theres been a lot of arguments at the Club but very few revolts .By and large these have never hit the press largely because of wengers stature and perhaps a punitive secrecy clause in the players contracts .
The two bitter one’s were Patrick Vierra and Fabregas,they got very UGLY !

Wwnger is staying at Arsenal, but i don’t know if as manager or director.