Arsène Wenger

We used to have a team full of players like that.
Lauren, Vieira, Adams, Keown, Gilberto, Petit, Edu, etc, were all players that could be described as tough tackling, but even the more attacking players like Henry, Bergkamp and Ljundberg, had a toughness about them, both physically and mentally.

Without these type of players, no team would win the PL, including us.
Like you say, Xhaka is a very important signing for Wenger.

3 Likes

So Wenger confirmed that Alexis and Ozil contract negotiations will take place soon.

Would it be safe to say if these two are to sign extension at the club that they have some sort of assurance that Wenger will also be signing an extension?

1 Like

:cold_sweat:

1 Like

Please Fuck no, hopefully they have the assurance of a reasonable buyout clause if things go pear shaped.

1 Like

Contract extension will take place doesn’t mean much. It could be good or bad.
Before RVP decided to leave, he had met with Wenger to discuss the extension also.

Wenger’s status won’t be decided by their contracts IMO. More or less it is about the league title.

Said this ages ago, that he is not going anywhere so people will just have to get used to that fact. A lot of people felt this will be his last season just didnt seem so to me, he is still building HIS team he wouldnt leave mid project. Yet again in the press today he said he didnt go to PSG when he has been asked to come 3 times. In other words ‘wink wink nod nod i am telling fans here of my love for arsenal and my loyalty to them i dont want to go anywhere else i am staying’

Always talks about loyalty etc then signs a new contract…I knew he was staying.

Lets me honest here Wenger will be offered a new contract by our board as long as he finishes top 4, even if we came 5th or 6th it wouldn’t shock me if he got a new deal.

Giving feedback is honestly such a basic requirement of management in this day and age, and for it to be done properly, is to be done directly and privately.

Therefor I would advise against believing there is anything in Wenger’s public comments about the ‘mental strength’ of players. He behaves in a way that any good leader would imo when it comes to public speaking.

But I believe the focus on smaller technical players has been an interesting experiment and not entirely unsuccessful. As a whole the overall level and ability of our teams have simply been below that of our rivals (due in no small part to our never ending injury crisis and budget restrictions), I don’t like the idea of it being entirely due to height and weight. A fully fit Diaby the size of Cazorla would still have ended every team in the league imo.

Conversely though, I always do want our teams to have the edge on size, athleticism, power and intimidation. Listening to players of old reminisce about lining up against the likes of Petit and Vieira in the tunnels is just, awe inspiring. Then again as many teams and individuals have shown us, is far from a necessity to success.

Wenger stays = Özil x Alexis. Wenger leaves = Özil x Alexis leaves.

What do?

Considering we can’t challenge for the Title with Ozil and Alexis under Wenger anyways I’d still rather all 3 left if that was the choice.

1 Like

How do I un-see this?

2 Likes

Yea, I’ll probably stop complaining about him due to this reason. :gunnersaurus:

1 Like

nothing is going to stop the complaints at all, but what difference will it make people have been complaining about wenger for years and guess what he is still here and will likely be here for another few years yet. I reckon a lot of people complain for the sake of complaining though, complain about signings or lack of then we sign give them 60mins and are back to moaning because he didnt score a hattirck…some people just arent happy until they find something to moan about.

1 Like

You don’t have to look that hard to complain, we haven’t come close to winning the Title since 2008.

3 Likes

I think it’s much more likely that people complain because they arent happy with a situation and would like to see it improve (or at least genuine, consistent attempts to improve it) and are frustrated that it doesnt really happen. Or maybe that’s just myself.

Not saying some of your points arent valid but equally I’d say there are those who it would seem would like to pretend that there isnt a single thing to complain about which we all know just isnt the case.

3 Likes

Are you even an Arsenal fan anymore?

I know you’re usually quite negative, but that’s a whole new level right here.

4 Likes

Is he building a team or the fucking Acropolis? We’re mid project? When did this project start? When is the projected completion date? JFC.

4 Likes

Well its not a choice, what we simply need to happen is Ozil and Sanchez sign extension and Wenger to leave at seasons end.

1 Like

He’s not really wrong though, is he, Oli (/¿Spuds?) ?

I actually think Aussiegooner makes a good point.

3 Likes