Arsène Wenger

Late though it was, I think he’s done good business this window.

3 Likes

Exactly.
No matter you are pros and cons on “we never spent such and such”, “we never spent £15m on a defender”… those days were long gone. £15m was just a benchmark a few years back. Now is double at least. £35m is not a huge amount in these days and nothing to brag about.
Anyway, I am glad that we “broke” our record and signed Mustafi… On paper we have one of the best defensive unit in the league.

For a defender, it is.

David Luiz - £50m - 2014
John Stones - £47.5m - 2016
Rio Ferdinand - £33.3m - 2002
Shkodran Mustafi - £35m - 2016
Thiago Silva - £33.2m - 2012

If Wenger was not playing the waiting game, or did it before Per/Gabriel injuries, we might get a better deal in Mustafi.
Wenger’s hand were tied, especially City paid £47.5 on Stones in the same transfer window. Mustafi wouldn’t be cheap.

Anyway, it was a good move, better late than never.

2 Likes

And that’s about it.
Compare that to money spent on attackers & you would know that big money defenders are a rarity and if you exclude Oil Clubs, it comes down to just Rio Ferdinand.

Pepe went for 28 million pounds. Mangala went for 40 million pounds. Bailly for 30 million pounds. It’s not crazy to say it’s just about becoming the norm for defenders too tbh.

3 Likes

Hummels €35m
Benatia €28m
(now defender) Javi Martinez €40m

prices for defenders are definitely going up. Not as much as attackers, but paying solid €25-30m should be the norm by now if you want quality.

2 Likes

Although am not over the moon with our striking options, Perez will certainly offer something different and if he can integrate with the team and adapt to the league and our style of play, he might just be what we need. All in all, I think this has been one of the more positive transfer windows.

Now, if only Wenger can show some tactical flexibility in games that call for it, you never know, we might just surprise ourselves this season. COYG.

They have perhaps from this summer but on a whole defenders are available for less amount whereas even an unproven young attacker would go upwards of 20m.

Considering Arsenal’s frugality and proportion of big money defensive signings, spending 35m is indeed breaking the bank.
Heck we bought Xhaka for 30.

Ideally I would have really liked for us to acquire a killer striker and a top class RW, that would have been a perfect window coupled with what we have. I think we’ll always be one or two players away at Arsenal.

Keeping our best players + completing the spine of the team is very good business all things considered, at the very minimum that can’t be moaned at (but will).

Whatever about Wenger, I’ll be supporting the team on the day. The missus got us memberships this season so i’ll be going to a few games, Southampton at home, clock end, can’t wait!

1 Like

He bought what we needed in the end. But he could have done better. Hope our new signings prove to be good. Xhaka is already showing his skills.

That’s definitely true. Prices for attackers will be higher because they have a bigger influence on results. And yea, spending 35m on a cb is quite much for an Arsenal signing, but won’t be the last time it happens.

[quote=“Trion, post:1257, topic:125, full:true”]
They have perhaps from this summer but on a whole defenders are available for less amount whereas even an unproven young attacker would go upwards of 20m.

Considering Arsenal’s frugality and proportion of big money defensive signings, spending 35m is indeed breaking the bank.
Heck we bought Xhaka for 30.
[/quote]I agree.
It is two transfer windows in a row where Wenger has spent more on defensive players than attacking ones.
There was Cech last season, then Elneny and then Xakha and Mustafa.

It’s a shame it took so long, but because of injuries, as well as Arteta and Flamini leaving and the fact he probably got fed up with seeing Mertesacker lumbering around in defence, that he had to sort it out.

If you’re that desperate for certain players, you have to pay the going rate to get what you want.
I think all his defensive signings have been very good but I’m still not convinced about Perez, and not getting a winger.
We could have done with shipping out Walcott or Chamberlain as well, but maybe he can do that in the next window.

WENGER…Why u nah do a madness blud! :frowning:

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVTtmlWIAZE

3 Likes

Bit dull really, though I guess he didn’t have a lot of time to answer questions.

Question 11:

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/47891011.jpg

4 Likes

Here is the full interview, it’s really enjoyable.

He needs to be watching some fucking match film not doing his own films.

You are harsh, Morris :wenger:

1 Like