Arsène Wenger

Fucking hell…Sign someone Wenga.

Well if last year is any marker Wenger can already come out with the “we’ve signed more players than last year fans are never happy” bullshit. Keep blaming the fans Arsene you old fuckbag.

Cant wait for the apoplectic rage that will be the Emirates stadium first game of the season if we don’t sign a striker and start loosing. I can already feel it stirring deep within me.

5 Likes

On paper if everybody is fit, our squad is pretty good.

Now, we know several starters will be out of the pre-season and first few league games, what is Wenger’s approach on this?
Be honest, I really don’t know. Another “wait and see” game?
Does he want to wait for a couple of injuries and the team is back to barebone and then he will consider adding more player(s)?

Come on, just a few weeks left, REINFORCE!!!
If we want to win the title, EVERY GAME IS IMPORTANT. You don’t want to be “shorthanded” in the first few games.

1 Like

We’re getting to the classic point of no return that we have every summer:

Step 1: The window just opened we’ve got plenty of time to strengthen
Step 2: No one is doing business during the Euros, WC, AFC, etc, etc
Step 3: (current step): They’ve only just got back to training we’ve got plenty of time to buy
Step 4: The best deals happen late we’ve got to wait for the cards to fall before we move
Step 5: Judge Him in May

11 Likes

Morris, on top of yours…

Occasionally teams starting to negotiate and get some business done BEFORE the window opens… but that’s not our approach usually.

Teams DO sign players during big tournaments in summer, but that’s not our style. Be fair, this summer we tried to land Vardy before Euro16, but he thought Leicester had a better chance to win the title than us and decided to stay.

There is always the annual January window, but we believe there is “no one” in the market that can help us, and no big player would be available in the middle of the season. Then we wait till another summer.

“Judge him in May” campaign starts immediately after the January window.
“Judge him after the summer” campaign starts immediately after the season end.

Rinse and repeat

Nobody has said judge him in May for years, but I guess it makes for a convenient narrative.

4 Likes

Not true, especially for the past several season we showed glimpse of chance winning the title, and then when our form dropped after winter, his believers kept saying “judge him in May”.

This squad is not good enough to go the distance. Shorthanded in the first few games or not.

1 Like

Not going to disagree

And Leicester’s squad is? The manager is also to blame for not maximising the potential of this squad. Despite the clear weaknesses in the squad a better manager could have still won the title last season with them.

1 Like

I wonder if this ambition we are showing this summer is going to be enough to convince Sanchez and Ozil to sign contract extensions… 1 ready made signing and 2 project players wont get the job done I wouldn’t have thought.

3 Likes

I think it’s about time we activate Griezmann’s release clause so he can reject us and Wenger can at least pretend he’s been busy this summer trying to identify and acquire targets.

4 Likes

I used to have this attitude and perhaps when the window slams shut (out of interest, why does the window always slam shut btw - can’t somebody just gently close the damn thing), I will not be able to hide my anger/rage/disappointment etc.

But really, we won’t win the league under Wenger again. We couldn’t win it when Leicester were our direct competition! They won it with 81 fucking points and we still finished 10 behind them. The great man will not find his former glory in another decade of trying. So when we don’t sign a marquee player, I shouldn’t be mad. We’re not going to win the two big prizes anyway. Even with Higuain and Draxler and whoever, it’s simply out of his grasp to reach those heights any more.

I’ve mentally prepared myself for indefinite CL qualification until such a time that we appoint somebody new. I’ve sort of made peace with that even though it’s a depressing thing to come to terms with.

12 Likes

For me its simple. In my heart and mind I know we wont win the league with Wenger again. But as a football fan I follow Arsenal daily, I love the arsenal and as such I’m weak to temptation. I want us to win so bad sometimes I choose to step out of reality and dream of santi putting one top bins not in the fa cup final but in the CL final. I cant help it, its that hope which a) makes me bitter as fuck when things are shit (despite really knowing not too expect any different) but b) keeps me following us so closely.

5 Likes

[quote=“Sol, post:115, topic:125”]
I’ve mentally prepared myself for indefinite CL qualification until such a time that we appoint somebody new. I’ve sort of made peace with that even though it’s a depressing thing to come to terms with.
[/quote]This alone is why it’s great having you back here Sol, you firmly hit the nail on the head with this post, especially the last sentence.

I’m quite worried about the direction of the club right now, knowing this is basically all we’re going to keep achieving right now and that doesn’t excite me at all. The consistency has been impressive, but at the same time, very predictable the patterns we keep falling into and whatever we do, nothing will change until Arsene is gone.

I guess the worst thing is, if we actually knew when Arsene is going to leave, then you think “OK, now there’s something to look forward to and plan ahead”, but we still don’t know when he’s going to leave. and this uncertainity is going to continue to alienate a lot of supporters who just want to see and try something different. Repetition is a horrible thing.

3 Likes

I feel exactly like this. As soon as we fucked up directly after beating Leicester in the last minute i knew it was all over. Any other team would have used that as the springboard to apply pressure but not us, we conspired to lose to the worst united team team in all my time following Arsenal and then went one better and threw away another three points against Swansea at home. That is who we are and who we will always be under Wenger.

The more I think about it I reckon we won those two FA cups in spite of him rather than because of him.

And on that cheery note I’m away.

Good to have you about again mate. :+1:

4 Likes

I agree that Higuaín and Draxler (and a CB to partner Kos) wouldn’t be enough to win us the title, but it would at least make us watchable and and make things somewhat interesting, and also increase the chances of Özil and Alexis staying (or at least not make it so painful to watch the disgrace that is watching Özil have to play with some of the players he plays with regularly).

It’s not so simple as league title or not. Like you said as long as Wenger is here it’s 100% not, but there are different grades of pain under the ‘not’ condition. And you definitely can’t rule out the possibility of us missing out on top 4 this coming season…safe bet would be on City and Chelsea to claim two spots, so that’s 2 up for grabs between us, United, Spurs, Klopp’s Liverpool, and Leicester. Not exactly nailed on.

5 Likes

Some people like to see this CL qualification consistency as an achievement.
Well, if they(including Wenger, Board, Gazidis, Silent Stan) only aim this high… this is really an achievement.

If they really set this as Arsenal standard, I can live with it. Just please shut the fuck up (including the players) and stop saying anything about the title chance and winning something big.
We just aim for qualifying, not deserved to talk about winning.

You don’t see people aiming low and can achieve high.

2 Likes

Our club needs a massive lift.
We had no signings last season, so we are owed at least 2-3 world class signings in this window, and all we have done is replaced Arteta.

We need to give the supporters a deserved lift, and also the players, otherwise not only aren’t we getting top class players, we will lose the few that we have.

Any supporter defending Wenger’s transfer policy surely can’t be a real Arsenal supporter.

2 Likes