Arsène Wenger

:wenger:

3 Likes

I love him so.

The club won’t sack him, and rightly so. The board had the chance to part last season and they chose not to (even though reports suggest the board was split on this). They should have given him one year with the option of another year (mutual).

Why is it right that the club won’t sack him?

He’s just a football manager not bigger than the club. If he’s doing shit as he is right now he should be sacked. Icon or not.

2 Likes

For Arsenal, Wenger is bigger than the club unfortunately.

Because they just gave him a contract. The club at least have stick to some sort of principles. Got to let him see it out or come to a mutual termination/serverance package sort of thing. And also give him the send off he deserves.

I have no basis whatsoever for thinking this but I have this feeling this was the type of contract agreed. Or if minimum targets weren’t met or something…

3 Likes

I have no problem with Wenger getting paid out for the full duration of his 2 year deal, but he should be getting sacked at the end of this season.

I don’t buy that at all. If Wenger decides to leave before his contract ends I believe it is because he realized he can’t take this team further and/or out of disappointment of a 6th place finish.

They are going to communicate Wenger leaving this summer or by the end of his contract as an mutual decision anyway. Even if pressure from the board/a sack if the reason for him leaving.

without concrete evidence I’m thinking along the same lines as you. I’ve seen it suggested that the board and Wenger were in mutual agreement that the indecision about Wenger’s future had cause unnecessary media speculation and uncertainty within the squad which in turn derailed our season. Wenger himself used this as the primary reason why we finished outside the top 4.

He was given a two year deal to avoid that again with 17-18 being his final chance to prove his worth. It’s likely that this summer was always going to be the major decision on Wenger’s future

To be fair that is what would happen if he was sacked, he’d get the remaining year of his contract paid up.

They never should have given him this latest two year deal, I’d be very happy for them to correct that mistake by getting shot of him.

3 Likes

Again. Nothing that can be accounted to Arsenal cost them that 4th place finish. Liverpool was just better and surpassed us. We perfomed to our ability with 75 points. Wenger hasn’t beat Klopp since he is in the Premier League. Wenger was lying (or delusional) when he said that.

It’s possible we can offer Wenger a spot in the hierarchy of the club. That way it’s like a faux promotion, and he can step out with dignity. Not so worried about him moving up to board level now that we’ve got Sven and co. Wenger is still widely regarded by players around the world, so he could come in handy in recruitment and just being a mouthpiece for the club in general.

Nobody posting on here was with the squad on a regular basis, so it’s difficult to measure how much of effect the speculation had on the squad’s performance and Wenger’s performance as manager.

Personally I tend to side with you, with this current season being additional confirmation of Wenger’s fadeing ability. He has no real excuse this year, he could turn it around with a LC and EL win though

1 Like

Fucking mental to start talking about giving him a different job in the club for the sake of “dignity”. Just ridiculous.

If he’d had any dignity he wouldn’t have accepted a new contract when it was abundantly clear that he isn’t cut out for it any more.

6 Likes

Heard this on the radio being talked about a few months ago, but the credibility of the source was hear say at best. Could well be true though.

I think this might be right but it was a decision made, or not made, by Wenger himself.

He dithered, as he often does, and it was a contributory factor in us not getting CL football, although letting the contracts of Sanchez and Ozil run down, and not strengthening enough, also had a big effect on why we had a poor season.

He has gone into this season underprepared, and again without anyone really knowing if he will be our manager next season.
If he stays on after this season, it will be yet another wasted because if everyone knows he is leaving it will be difficult for the players.
This is why Ferguson kept quiet about leaving Man U, because he knew how disruptive it would be if he announced it during the season or if their were even any rumours of it.

So basically, if he sees out his contract, his indecision will mean we will have had three seasons of not knowing what he is going to do, and will probably see us out of the CL again.

What club has a manager that is effectively unsackable, and that has a period of instability for possibly three seasons?

That length of time would make some PL managers some of the longest serving at the same club.
At Arsenal we accept our manager making the decision of when he goes, and what ever chaos that ensues, no matter how long it takes.

1 Like

we should open a youth academy in France or Africa, and let Wenger be the CEO there.

OUT IMMEDIATELYYYYYYYYYY! CUNT!!!

1 Like

Players to blame for this shambles…No feckin effort…

1 Like