Arsène Wenger

The main reason Ferguson was so successful was because he outspent every other club.

But when he bought a player for a certain position it was the best player in that position and he played them in their preferred position.

Also when Ferguson had won the league he didn’t just sit around waiting for the next season to start, he would go out and strengthen even more.
He was ruthless, and because he was a winner that bought the best players, it attracted even more of that type of player to the club.
If a player wasn’t good enough, he was out of the door.

Wenger is the opposite, he dithers in the transfer market, always goes for the cheap option or a bargain, or we get no one.
He persists with players like Walcott, Diaby and Rosicky until they become our longest serving players and they are either no good or constantly injured, or both.
Can you imagine Ferguson putting up with either of those two for so long?

1 Like

I think the point that @sevchenko was trying to make there was that while the manager does have the final say in the player that he wants, cause that is the footballing side of things, he doesn’t play any role in the actual transfer negotiations. So he just tells his DOF the positions that he thinks needs strengthening, gives him his first, second and maybe third choices for each position and that’s it. Then its up to the DOF to get the deals done with the budget he has at his disposal. He only comes back to the manager if there is a footballing matter relating to the deal that needs sorting out like the selling club wanting to loan out the player immediately after signing, or wanting another player in exchange, something like that.

1 Like

I need to take off my angry head :sanchez2:

Is it possible that it’s just another ploy to ensure he remains in complete control of the team? I mean, we have already discussed the theory that perhaps Arsene doesn’t like anyone challenging his authority. Maybe a captain who plays regularly, and leads the team into battle week-in, week-out might command more respect and therefore have some sort of authority over the team, which Wenger doesn’t want.

Whatever it is, I think this is going to be the last season for him. I don’t see him making any great signings between now and the end of the window, which means this is going to be another disappointing campaign, and with the fans booing him at every opportunity, there is no way he will stay on. I think there will come a time this season that the board will have a word with him and let him know that his time is up. At least, that is what I am hoping for. That’s the only thing to look forward to this season, that this could be Arsene’s last. Am sad to say that about this man but it’s the truth.

1 Like

A real mystery as to why Arsene is choosing to go out with a whimper instead of a bang.

Stadium situation squared away, some top talent like Ozil, Sanchez…and he chooses for reasons only known to him to not strengthen and go for a title and even if the team came up short, he can say he went for one last title.

Instead, he has done little of anything this summer, refuses to add to the team at positions crying out for need and risks the situation turning toxic at home when more fans realize the title chase was over on match day 1 when Wenger’s gamble didn’t pay off to no one’s surprise, but his apparently.

Oh, and what are Ozil and Sanchez thinking now?

Ironically, Wenger’s penny pinching has put this club in a precarious position for whoever the next manager is.

1 Like

Dave Kidd in the mirror today

Click it to read.

1 Like

Too much?:joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

This is exactly the sort of annoying statement Wenger spouts every time he comes under criticism.

No one is saying we should spend 55m on a CB, what we want is the best we can afford, and if thinks that Holding is better than any other CB in Europe, then he is wrong.

He always exaggerates, like when he said he can’t afford to spend 80m on a player, last season.

No one suggests he did have to spend that much, but at least buy someone rather than neglecting the striker position yet again.

It’s this arguing like a child and coming out with patronising, insulting and idiotic statements that wind people up.

If you’re not going to spend, stop saying you can “compete with the biggest clubs for the best players,” stop saying “I’m not scared to spend,” and stop going on about only buying “super quality.”

If he had kept his mouth shut and stopped lying, then at least the supporters would know he is the tightest manager in Europe without him trying to pretend he isn’t.

6 Likes

How the fuck this guy has any support left among fans is insane. He shits all over us constantly. And while his fanboy fundies are spouting off about the “madness” in player transfers and wages this guy is pulling more in a week than anyone at the club.

2 Likes

He’s really stuck in the past with his arguments.

We couldn’t compete when foreign owners were making money out of oil and then pumping it into football clubs at a disproportionate rate, but we’re going for players that the likes of West Ham are going for, we’re paying the kind of fees clubs like Everton are paying. The PL has new money legitimately, not just because every club has just got a new billionaire owner in 2016.

I don’t understand why we’re still upset about prices when we can compete, and we’re as rich as most other clubs.

1 Like

I’ve come to believe its because Wenger wants to be the captain. He doesn’t want players looking up to someone else for instruction other than himself.

Arteta was basically Wenger’s right hand man. Probably in more ways than one.

2 Likes

You know there are still people worship Wenger 3 times a day, say thanks to Wenger for giving them the spiritual meal, and have to listen to his usual bullshit (the latest, 2m on Holding vs 55m defender) in order to go to sleep.

Wenger has already run out of excuses and somehow his followers will still defend him, but bringing out the invincible team and glory days more than a decade ago. Recently I just read something about the 2006 game against Barcelona.

1 Like

Haha. Yes, the same thread in which one Wenger fan boy questioned Thierry Henry’s own view of the outcome of that game.

1 Like

Which would be all well and good, if he bothered getting out of his chair to give the squad any instructions.

3 Likes

Hopefully just 36 more league games of this bloke and 1 January transfer window to get through.

1 Like

I’ve been supporting this magnificent club home and away for well over 4 decades now and I’ve lost so much enthusiasm over the past seasons because of this manager .
We’ve lost that attacking fear factor we once had , the powerhouse midfield has gone but more importantly the defending we were renowned for . We can all see that players retire or move on , the good times can’t be relived but when you move to a state of the art stadium and the gate revenue that must be one of the highest in world football we should be competing with the elite teams not being held to ransom by a frugal old man .
After a 4-3 home defeat , a 0-0 draw to the champions Leicester, yes Leicester champions , our manager pipes up with such bile as to paying 600 staff !
Well Mr Wenger , here’s the bottom line , if YOU invested in the 22 man squad , the riches that the PL and CL pay you could afford to pay 800 staff .
Until this man retires and a dynamic modern manager is appointed we will be left way way behind .

6 Likes

It’s baffling, it’s incomprehensible, but it is what it is. The fans must do what they already should have many moons ago and that is to drive Arsene Wenger out of this football club. There is simply no other way forward. It’s a very desperate and heartbreaking situation that which followers of other clubs by in large cannot understand. The fans failed to back the ‘time for change’ protest last season, but this season I’m reasonably confident reality will sink in for many more in the ground. Hopefully the fans will express enough disgust to make his position truly untenable. Crazy ain’t it, a once great man methodically destroying his own legacy over a number of years.

4 Likes

He’s gone at the end of the season. This season is a write off for me, so I’m now quite relaxed.

Who would have thought we would get to the stage when we were praying for ARSENE WENGER to leave the club.

Truly baffling end to a once great manager. Absolute dinosaur and would be glad to see the back of him.

@Cristo’s point regarding the captaincy is also one that piqued my interest. In what Universe is that a reasonable move to make? Mertesacker should be no where near the squad, let alone be the captain!

4 Likes

How many times you have seen people, smart of dumb, can outrun and outsmart time??

You may buy some time, but you cannot manipulate it.
When it is time, it is time.

1 Like

What’s shocking to me is that took so long for people to come around. He could sign Messi, Ronaldo, Varane, Chiellini, and somehow get Ibra to leave Manure 2 games in the season and he still has just gots ta go.

1 Like