Arsène Wenger

What is the best solution? Sell him or keep him? I’m sure you will be unhappy in both cases.

First of all, the players in this situation have different reasons.

• Apparently Sànchez wants to win important trophies & wants a top wage
  • Apparently Chamberlain wants to switch his role to play as his childhood hero
  • Apparently Ozil wants a top wage like Alexis but is interested to discuss the deal and sign the new contract

What Arsène are doing wrong in this case, tell me what.

Yeah I also agree with us, I think it will be another super season from Alexis and then he walks on a free.

[quote=“Maxi_Gooner, post:7825, topic:125, full:true”]

What is the best solution? Sell him or keep him? I’m sure you will be unhappy in both cases.

First of all, the players in this situation have different reasons.

• Apparently Sànchez wants to win important trophies & wants a top wage
  • Apparently Chamberlain wants to switch his role to play as his childhood hero
  • Apparently Ozil wants a top wage like Alexis but is interested to discuss the deal and sign the new contract

What Arsène are doing wrong in this case, tell me what.
[/quote]I would sell him simply because an unhappy player, especially one like Sanchez who has proved he is immature and disruptive, when things aren’t going his way, isn’t any good for the rest of the team.

Ideally it would be great for him to stay and sign a new contract but it’s not going to happen.

Wenger is in a precarious position, but he has brought all this on himself and it’s no coincidence that Sanchez, Ozil and Chamberlain, arguably our three best players, haven’t signed new contracts.

This situation is nothing new.
It’s happened before, and our best players will continue to leave for more ambitious clubs, as long as Wenger refuses to adequately strengthen with world class players.

1 Like

The fact is one: Sànchez will leave, Chamberlain will leave because he is too stupid and will ruin his career running out the dream to play like Steven Gerrard and Ozil will sign a new contract with the number 10 at the back.

Sincerely I’m ok to sell a stupid player if the thinks to perform into another role despite is playing very well, as he never did before, in his natural role.

I think to lose Sanchez is bad enough but for Chamberlain to go as well would be un acceptable.
There is also no guarantee Ozil will sign either.

This window is turning into a real mess and I don’t know how Wenger is going to get him self out of it.

Lacazette was the bare minimum but losing top players as well would represent a very poor window.

1 Like

Are you agree to switch his role from wing back to playmaker?

In a 3-4-3 they (Chamberlain) aren’t necessarily qualified as wing backs btw. It kind of irks me to read that all the time :slightly_smiling_face:.

Right back, wing back or right winger doesn’t matter, Chamberlain wants to play as number 8.

Wenger says players running down contracts will be common place but what he failed to mention is this will happen nowhere else but here.

It’s his classic mismanagement that has permeated the latter half of his reign as manager that has led to all these players running down their contracts, not only does he not get it done on the pitch he doesn’t get it done on the administrative side either.

His comments would be troubling if this wasn’t something that is totally expected, “oh no don’t worry guys we’ll get to see some great performances from our star players” in a season in which we likely won’t finish in the top four let alone win the league followed by them fucking off on a free.

With managers like Wenger who needs rivals? He couldn’t do a better job at trying to sabotage us.

3 Likes

Despite liking the players we’ve brought in this is probably the most disappointing summer ever for me as an Arsenal fan. The sheer predictability of Wengers reappointment, the delayed nature of the ozil and Sanchez contracts, the rejection of half reasonable offers for players like Gibbs who just don’t have a future here…

If you have any semblance of joy or hope going into next season then good for you but for me I’ve never given less of a shit.

The FA cup final was a wonderful reminder of the absolute joy and pride this team can make me feel but it will be a surprise rather than an expectation that they can make me feel like that at any point this season.

12 Likes

We know they were offering big contracts as early as Sep 2016 but it may well have been earlier. Agents and players know running contracts down means either bigger contracts or big moves.

1 Like

Definitely. If we can’t get him to agree to a contract extension this summer we should definitely be selling him and getting as much as we can for him. And finding a replacement for him because Bellerín looks like shit. And we should probably be buying a back-up LB to Kolasanic too, aside from obviously a CM and Lemar, and selling Chambers, Gibbs, Elneny, Ospina, and loaning out a number of players.

I have complete confidence we’ll do all of those things in the month that remains before the window shuts, of course. :wink:

Players performing to achieve a new contract is a real thing though. Particularly for the likes of Ox, Ramsey etc. there is no guarantee that their next contract away from Arsenal will be from a big club…

Historically, players from all sporting codes perform very well in contract years…

Couldn’t agree with you more Shammy, except on this being the most disappointing summer ever. I didn’t have any expectations from the summer and I won’t ever, until Arsene is at the helm. So by that standard, we have done quite well in the summer so far.

Of course, that doesn’t mean I expect a lot from us next season. I would be very surprised if the coming season would turn out any different from any of the last 10 seasons. I am as indifferent as you are about our prospects. There will be highs and there will be lows and in the end, we will end up in another battle for 3rd, 4th or 5th.

1 Like

It’s just as well we have so many of them then.

You don’t happen to be Wenger’s PR do you?
Because what you have just said would make even Wenger embarrassed.

The only ones that really matter are:

Alexis
Ozil
Ramsey
Ox

Yes there are clouds of Alexis, but Ozil seems more than likely to sign on!

Ramsey and Ox should sign on, and even if they didn’t, it wouldn’t be a horrendous loss.

I mean, there is no need to be nasty in your rebuttal, but I do disagree with what you have been saying the past week. I haven’t noted you saying things like this before, but maybe I missed it.

1 Like

No, just a huge opportunity lost economically.

4 Likes

Huge, based on what?

Either way, I expect them both to sign new contracts.

Ramsey should have been sold in 2016, when Wales played a great European Championship.

4 Likes