Arsène Wenger

Get rid of shit like Walcott, Debuchy, Jenkinson etc and we will be fine

3 Likes

We are the only big club not to qualify for the CL.
How embarrassing having to watch spurs finish way ahead of us, along with Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea, and then Man U win two trophies and qualify for the CL even though they finished sixth.

Let’s see Wenger manoeuvre his way out of this situation.
What excuse is going to come out with?
It’s never his fault, so who he is going to blame?

2 Likes

There’s 6 good teams and only 4 places two are gonna miss out each year. (Unless one wins the Europa) Just the way it goes.

3 Likes

But this season all the other top clubs qualified because Man U got in through winning the Europa.
They have had possibly one of their worst seasons in the PL and yet they still win two trophies.

Having to watch the CL next season while we’re not in it, is bad enough but having to watch spurs overtake us in the League and be in the elite European competition, while we are in the inferior one, that we used to ridicule them for, is unacceptable.

This was all too predictable, and we are going to go through it again next season, without our best players but still with Wenger.

1 Like

Really hard to be massively upset we lost out to City and Chelsea - they were a bit predictable in retrospect (I was wrong tbf - thought it would take longer for Chelsea to recover and thought ManU would do better)…

But Pool and Spurs overtaking us (trending that direction since last year really) is harder to take and there really isn’t any excuse for that. We have had all the advantages over them for years and Spurs absolutely spanked us this year and Pool held us off convincingly in the end, despite a very flawed squad.

1 Like

Well, we have more money in the bank than some big clubs in the League. Shouldn’t be a problem.

Oh wait! :hipster:

good grief even from an economist perspective we have massively misplayed the evolving market and taken stupid, unnecessary risks with underinvestment… despondent we have to deal with a continued AW regime - f*ing shambles.

3 Likes

A fan reports on a conversation he had with Liam Brady about Wenger and the board.

(got all of this from Reddit)

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057704024/349?

Arseblog replied on twitter: “tallies with what i’ve heard all right”

And posted below:

Quote from an Arsenal fan over on boards.ie Chatting to Liam Brady on Monday evening. He classes himself as a good friend of Wenger & from what he was saying there’s a right old ding dong going on at board level in the club. A ‘complete split’ between board members on the direction of the club was how he put it. I asked him if he thought Wenger would stay and he said that whilst Wenger wants to stay, because of the power struggle on the board, he (Wenger) doesn’t know if the club will renew his contract and that its still very much up in the air. If one side wins, Wenger stays, if the other side wins, he’ll go. Like ourselves, he said the delayed announcement was a disaster and has had a really unsettling affect on the club and its players and probably cost us a champions league place.

Other useful tid bits:

He thinks Xhaka ‘could’ be the real deal but is struggling to settle into the club. He feels this next season will be the make or break of him, but said in many ways he’s like a young Adams. Quite shy, he apparently doesn’t get shown respect from a couple of the senior players and because of that when he tries to marshal the team, he’s often ignored.

Also on Ozil, when I asked if he thought we’d lose Sanchez and Ozil, his reply was that Ozil wouldn’t be a great loss, not a team player and blows hot and cold.

Gazidis v Keswick - I got the feeling that Kronke is just letting them slug it out. Friar, who’s a long time supporter of Wenger is backing Keswick, so its very much Gazidis out on a limb here.

This is a fan reporting so take it with a pinch of salt. Liam Brady is known to be very open with fans though, and this would go a long way towards explaining what is up. There’s also a photo of the fan with Liam Brady on the thread, so it does look genuine

8 Likes

.#TeamGazidis :joy:

9 Likes

Will tap into the hope here that he could still leave. Its not verbatim but could be true. Please, please, please,

Good to see Gazidis still aligned with fans rather than the owner.

1 Like

I’d love to know which senior players don’t listen to Xhaka.

1 Like

Yeah I was thinking that.

Shame to hear there’s that kind of discord/lack of respect in the team.

Thought the post was a very interesting insight into what’s going on at team level and board level, however brief it was.

Yeah at this level you’d expect total professionalism and alot of maturity. I remember Xhaka’s interview a while and he said the team doesn’t regularly go for dinner and stuff like at his old club. People just turn up for training and go their separate ways afterwards

1 Like

Yeh one of the most interesting I’ve read recently. I just hope it isn’t all smoke and mirrors and a way to ride out the Wenger out demonstrations.

As for the Xhaka thing it’s annoyed me a bit. Really poor form, I wonder if it is Alexis who always does his own thing or if it’s someone who has been here a long time and thinks they are more important than they are like Ramsey.

Really think it’s about time we started looking at a complete overhaul and bring in some newer player who are eager, humble and can take some fucking direction once in a while.

6 Likes

There’s probably no place for sentiment on the board anymore. Business decisions need to be taken and if those decisions are being undermined or simply halted by people allowing sentimentalism to get in the way of pragmatism then there is probably no longer a place for those individuals on the board.

5 Likes

As dumb as it sounds (because of him not playing) i reckon Mertesaker is one of them, sure he is not playing on the pitch but he has a big presence at the club and people respect him, so i reckon him not showing much favour to Xhaka could cause some sort of split and cause people to pony up against him in favour of Merts. I dont think Merts is a malicious person BUT i do think he has some sorta dressing room power and maybe if he just doesnt get along with a player people would look to him and maybe be on his side without even maybe realising it.

Reading it, it sounded more like an on pitch issue in my book. Why do you think it’s Per out of interest? The only time I’ve saw Per combative is when players are bang out of line like Ozil slumping away from the fans. I’d have thought someone like Per would be the type to embrace Xhaka’s mentality.

1 Like

Could be completely wrong on my part, i just see Merts as a sorta figurehead almost at the club like Arteta was, he doesnt seem malicious but i have seen him tell players off even on the pitch like Ozil, was just thinking maybe Xhaka done something or said something or acts in a way that maybe rubs him up the wrong way…everyone seems to look up to Merts so maybe if they have beef in some way it could cause a split.

Sounds about right. Mentality at this club is completely fake from top to bottom. They talk a winners talk but walk a losers walk.

Turn up for training, do it half arsed and go home. Turn up on matchday, do average and go home. Finished in Europa spot coz of Alexis and his contribution… Otherwise could have been so much worse.

Clubs a joke.

3 Likes