Arsène Wenger

Yep. He could have ruined Suarezs career too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10 Likes

Fuck he’s obsessed with talking about players he nearly signed. Either that or he just loves trolling Arsenal fans.

2 Likes

Woulda coulda shoulda… But he didnt

1 Like

TBH the Suarez deal is one transfer that Wenger doesn’t get any criticism from me for. The clause was there to the best of everyone’s knowledge and Liverpool refused to honour it. Then Gerrard talked him out of it and Liverpool gave him a new big contract and promised to sell him the following summer.

I’ll criticise Wenger for some of his nearly transfers but not this one.

11 Likes

Too much question marks to say things would have been so different.

At least this puts an end to the question of whether the clause was there or not. Hopefully we won’t make that mistake in the future.

Though who the fuck knows when we are going to approach a high profile striking target again.

Do you think Wenger is in a press conference and just randomly starts talking about all the transfers he almost made? Lol I don’t know the context but I’m willing to wager someone asked him a question.

1 Like

Approaching, or enquiring, has never been Wenger’s problem.

It’s the actual buying of a striker he has difficulty achieving :wink:

1 Like

The best “almost signed” squad :xhaka:

1 Like

Look on the bright side Mav . We’ll get to see the French c**t sacked. L mfao.

[quote]"Arsene Wenger is a good guy and a good coach. He built this club from nothing to now, and it will be interesting what happens in the next months.

“I don’t know who the guy is that can replace him. He is Arsenal.”[/quote]

All those former players/pundits don’t see the fucking humiliations we go through? Or simply how bad our football has become? This cult, because that is what it is, around Wenger is becoming really, really annoying.

5 Likes

One of the reasons it’s important that when a new manager does take over (hopefully sooner rather than later) their whole team all the way up to to a potential sporting director should not be affiliated with the old regime in any way.

Ideas, methodology and approach should all be a fresh instilled by someone that can appraise the club from top to bottom and make the right decisions with objectivity.

What I really hate is the “he deserves to decide when he leaves” mentality. They were saying this in 2014, now 2017 and it’ll be again in 2019. So what, he can just continue to drag us down for his own ego for the foreseeable future because he deserves it? Just how much credit has he been building up with these people? And for what? He was successful over a decade ago now and all he’s really done is show loyalty but loyalty works both ways. No coach in the world has had the same loyalty from a club that he’s had.

6 Likes

Whats with the epileptic pics mate

3 Likes

Brainwashed in to loving wenger again… International breaks do that to you…

Or we might be Fulham.

I don’t get it!? Do you mean if kronke and usmanov had never got involved with us and we had kept the set up from before all the boardroom termoil we would be in fulhams possition now? Do you think that would have been likely?

He’s just making a sarcastic comment.

I think people exaggerate the DD effect (as well as the Kroenke/Usmanov effects) - fact is, there was the perfect confluence of circumstances with AW when he took over (e.g., completely reinvented training and dietary methods at at time when that offered competitive advantage (it doesn’t any more)), including inheriting a very solid defensive base - he rode the French wave at a perfect time, etc.

Would AW have done less or worse without DD? I"m not so convinced… I think the times caught up to AW, as well as the emergent financial forces, and he gambled incorrectly by being overly conservative (IMHO) - would DD have pushed him to be more aggressive or make better moves during that time? Maybe, but it is a bit of speculation b/c we don’t have a lot of other data on DD - not like he has helped another club since then reinvent themselves or develop strongly.

WRT Kroenke and Usmanov, I still don’t get it… if you don’t like what they are doing you either:

a) Want them to spend to the point of loss AND/OR force AW’s hand in doing so (i.e., the Chelsea/City models)
OR
b) Want them to have fired AW earlier b/c he isn’t doing enough
OR
c) Think they should be meddling more in actual football matters and engineering deals behind AW (i.e., the Chelsea model)

I really don’t understand what other criticism one could have… they aren’t taking money out of the club and they aren’t burdening the club with their own debt like the Glazers did… And to me, a) and c) aren’t really congruent with having AW stay on, so you must fault them for keeping AW too long and that is really it…

3 Likes