Arsène Wenger

Bollocks. He was great for us but he wasn’t the difference between a double and an unbeaten title and nothing.

2 Likes

He was clearly the most important piece of our defence in the 2002-2005 years. If he didn’t walk out the way he did I very much doubt Wenger would have signed someone of similar quality.

That isn’t a thing. Unless you count the sequels.

What happened regarding Chelsea, Slag?

It seems Castiel has been watching too much Starship Troopers.

In all seriousness, it doesn’t happen in the first part as the bugs don’t have a way to control humans, but it does come up in the second one with the bad boy soldier and I’m not sure anymore if there’s something similar in the third one. I guess I wasn’t paying enough attention while watching those haha

Wait… you actually watched the sequels? How bad were they?

The reason im blind in one eye…

The second one doesn’t really feel like a real Starship Troopers with how small the budget must have been and how cramped all the action is (thick fog on all the outside scenes and most of the action scenes happening in a building). Worth it if you like Kelly Clarkson playing a sex maniac but else a solid skip.

Third one is a lot of religious dialogue as far as I can remember and not enough big scale fighting. More outside scenes though and only worth it if you really like the occasional big bug.

Neither stand a chance against the original.

The animated one I never watched.

Sol Campbell is a better defender and captain than anything weve had in years though in reality.

3 Likes

The major issues he brought up were

1. Arsene Wenger did very little to instill a winning mentality into the players. It came from the players themselves, especially characters like Tony Adams, Martin Keown, Vieira. Arsene would very rarely lose his cool in front of the players, or have a go at anyone if they weren’t putting in a shift. It would be one of the senior players who would pull up someone and give them an earful. And the whole competitiveness thing extended to the training, even to the little games that they would play, where even though it was all fun, they always wanted to win.

2. When Sol returned for his second stint with the club in 2010, he noticed two major differences in the club. First, the players all behaved like they were multiple time champions, like they had won league titles, World Cups etc. Second, no one was pulling up anyone if they were not performing to the level that was expected of them. Basically, the standard of the club had dropped from a level where you were expected to perform at a level to be Arsenal class, to a level where you could get away with anything.

3. Arsene changed the kind of players he bought post 2006. He didn’t go in for the characters and chose skill and talent over strength of character. He also started buying younger players, but these youngsters didn’t have enough of the old steel around them to learn from. He mentioned how while you can learn a few things in training and by talking to seniors or coaches, the in-game lessons/coaching received was invaluable. The youngsters brought in by Arsene post 2006 didn’t have that sort of learning.

4 Likes

What does that look like I wonder…

1 Like

So he should announce something within march? Hope so because we would have a calmer end to the season.

1 Like

Depending what he decides we might.

What the fuck. Im so sorry to hear that.

1 Like

Or he like most footballers simply sees football as a profession. For most players there is no loyalty in football anymore.

1 Like

Implying loyalty can’t exist in the professional sphere…

Say I worked for an estate agents from the age of 17 or whatever, they took me on as a trainee and taught me basically everything there is to know about the estate agency game, treating me well and making me a key part of the team. As I’m learning the ropes I make costly mistakes along the way but my boss is understanding and helpful. After a few years I might be grateful for all this but feel that for the sake of my career and development I need to move on.

Instead of moving to an estate agents in a different postcode, I move to the one down the road who are the main competition to my current employers, when I know there’s serious animosity between the two. I’ve told my current boss for months that I’ll sign a new contract and stay with them, and he’s counting on me doing so, but at the last minute I leave him high and dry and piss off down the road to the competition.

I might do all of that for the sake of my career and be perfectly justified in doing so, but it wouldn’t mean that my ex boss would be wrong for thinking I’m a bit of a deceitful and disloyal cunt after everything he’d done for me.

3 Likes

If you were offered twice as much at another estate agents you’d ask your boss if he’d match it and move if he wouldn’t. Happens in every line of work. And no you wouldn’t be seen as ‘deceitful’ or ‘disloyal’ if you moved to a rival estate agents, you might even still be mates and meet up for drinks. Wenger will still be cordial with players who’ve left, I know until he moved to Chelsea he still took Cesc’s calls/texts and Cesc was disapointing on moving to Chelsea that he stopped.

Football is more tribal than estate agents though and I get that but to allot of players it isn’t.

Are you sure about that , I dont think they spoke from the time he refused to go on the far east tour to the time Cesc asked to come back and was told firmly NON !
Their falling out was very bitter , Cesc more or less called him a liar because Cesc claimed Wenger told him if he gave him 1 more season he would let him go the following year were as Wenger claims he said nothing of the sort !

Enemies yes ,rivals no !
But as slag says some of us hate west ham more due to them murdering one of my pals !
Its true spurs hate us more than we hate them but then they are a hate filled bunch at the best of times !

I will never understand how you can hate fans of a football club as much as some people do lol. I have Spurs, Liverpool, United and Chelsea friends in abundance. I have a general sporting hatred for the teams I mentioned among others. But I don’t hate them with anywhere near as much vitriol as others.

2 Likes