Arsène Wenger

I would like to leave us in the Champions League for the new manager. We need something to build on.

Sorry but he must have something wrong with him if he doesn’t understand his times up. Really CBA with two more years of Wenger bs :cry:

1 Like

Very few coaches leave clubs where their chairman is happy with them unless they’re being poached by a bigger club.

It’s not his place to quit, it’s their place to say he’s not what we need.

4 Likes

Turning into Brian Clough but without the CL/EC…

The main reason was because the CL used to be only for the teams that had won the respective Leagues, as well as the holders of the competition.
So when the rules were changed and some leagues started having three or four clubs in the CL every season, the number of teams in it went up, this meant that the EUFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup were no longer needed and they got rid of the Cup Winners Cup.

I think the EUFA Cup kept going and then became the Europa League.

People who think that when we won the Cup Winners Cup with Graham it wasn’t much of an achievement should remember that only the League Champions went into the European Cup, so a lot of very big teams were playing in either the EUFA Cup or Cup Winners Cup, which was a lot more difficult to win then.

3 Likes

EUFA or UEFA? :eyes:

1 Like

Youfa

2 Likes

I got that wrong, it should be the UEFA Cup.

2 Likes

Easier? Maybe. A lot easier? Probably not. Like I said before 97/98 the Champions League was made up of every Champion from one country. Hence the 7-9 clubs who dominate the Champions now were spread over three different competitions. The gap between the Champions League and the UEFA Cup/Cup’ winners Cup was smaller in the 90s and before than it is now.

Another beautiful legacy left by Wenger…we’re always the better team…something or someone conspired against us to make us lose. Usually money.

Some worrying comments by Wenger of late, talking about how Fergie managed to 71 etc etc.

The Don Quixote saga continues then…

I saw an interview with Merson that basically said at least Ferguson had a life with his wife and horse racing etc. so he could retire and enjoy it, whereas Wenger doesn’t really have a life, he just lives football.

He looks to be in good shape for a man in his mid 60s, supposedly he eats and trains like an athlete so it wouldn’t surprise me if he was still working well into his 70s. I’ve no problem with that, as long as it’s not here :slight_smile:

I guess if he’s planning that then at least it gives him time for a substantial project. He can take over at a club and plan to be there for 5 years rather than just a 1-2 year stopgap until retirement so maybe that might appeal to him.

They’ll announce his new contract after he’s won the FA Cup :+1: we have the draw luck on our side.

2 Likes

They’d wanna announce it on the eve of the Cup semi’s, it’s looking like all big sides in the last 4.

I only see three big sides going through… Arsenal, ManUtd/Chelsea and ManCity… dunno which one’s the 4th you are talking about.

Totally agree. I love the guy but he’s really doing the club no favors by waffling on his future. Either sign the contract and ignore the vitriol in the ground with your EIGHT MILLION POUND salary stuffed in your ears or announce it’s over.

2 Likes

Oh fuck! More toxic mood at Arsenal!

Such a fucking troll to the fans until the very end.

3 Likes