Arsène Wenger

What was the European Cup winners about?

Was it everyone who won their equivalent of the FA Cup in a competition together?

2 Likes

Yes. It’s pretty much all in the name really.

:arteta:

2 Likes

Which shows you don’t know the difference between ECWC and UEFA which was generally tougher. Kids don’t play with adults, there’s kids toys in the corner over there.

Is that a serious Q?

Back then these European cups (except the Intertoto cup) were taken very seriously though by top teams. Unlike today when it’s the CL trophy or nothing. The Europa League is still a bit of a yawn and not even close in status.

3 Likes

In that particular season of the Cup’ winners Cup Real Madrid and the great Ajax of the 90s were involved.

After 1996/1997 the quality of the UEFA Cup actually deteriorated because the numbers 2/3/4 of national competitions were given entrance to the Champions League, whilst before 1998 you had Juventus, Bayern Munich and Inter winning the UEFA Cup.

You laughed at Chelsea’s Europa League win, but the fact that Wenger lost his final I would say is worse.

Again; Hello, Galatasaray!

3 Likes

So the current defence of Wenger not winning in Europe is… Those that did before ie GG and Bertie Mee dont count because those cups were shit…

2 Likes

I can to the round of 16 7 times on the bounce.

Yes :confused: Problem?

How can you say this mate. Italian league was the best league by far back then.
Probably the strongest league ever at that period of time. As for dismissing this trophy thats hard to take with your defence of community fucking shields with Wenger.

1 Like

There weren’t any top teams CWC there definitely were in R16

Some of the snobbery at winning the Cup winners cup and other European competitions is dreadful. I’ve mentioned it in another post in the past about how the expansion of CL in the late 90s effectively ruined the UEFA Cup long term and dissolvement of Cup Winners cup, but for most of their history, they were treated with as much respect as the European Cup.

Seems some would prefer to not care about the Fairs Cup success of 1970, our first success in Europe as well, with this attitude.

Any success in Europe in whatever competition, can only be seen in a posititve light. Yeah the Europa League format isn’t brilliant and has too many games, but I wouldn’t complain having a nice looking trophy in our the trophy cabinet.

6 Likes

Sorry I guess you musn’t of been around back then. Yes it’s each European Country’s Cup comp.

1 Like

your blinded maxi parma were a very good side in those days

Is too wrong to say which the Champions League is most difficult to win than a Champions League??

I didn’t say which the Cup of Champions isn’t a serious trophy and is useless to win (before I consider the Community Shield a trophy like the others despite many fans are not with me).

For example, won the modern Champions League is more difficult than to win the old version of the Champions League like won the old Uefa Cup was more difficult to win the current version of the Europe League.

I respect that trophy won thanks to 11 english players (and were difficult to play against other european teams because of the lack of informations about the players).

Sometimes I rewatch the Cup of Champions semifinal against Sampdoria and the Intertoto, when I was young, was one of my favourite competition because of the lack of games during the Summer.

1 Like

It’s not snobery, winning the ECWC was great times but to pretend Graham’s side would of had a chance in the European Cup nevermind a Cup with all of the top sides in Europe is laughable.

And Fuck No, the ECWC was never nearly as good as the EC, that was always the real prize, the others were trinkets, nice ones none the less

I said which Parma were good but not like Juve, Inter, Roma or AC Milan.

Thats just ignorant and churlish mate.

The season when Arsenal won against Parma, the Champions League has been won by AC Milan with Fabio Capello on the bench and world class players like Maldini, Panucci, Albertini, Desailly, Boban and Savicevic. Second place for Barça with Cruijff on the bench and Koeman, Nadal, Guardiola, Bakero, Stoichov, Romario and Zubizarreta.

The team which have reached the semifinals were Porto and AS Monaco with Petit, Thuram, Djorkaeff, Kilnsmann, Scifo, Puer and a guy on the bench which we know:

2 Likes

The semi-finals of the Champions League back then, was the 2nd round… There were only 8 participants.