Arsène Wenger

Its a really boring topic thats been beaten to fucking death. Week in week out ‘wenger out wenger out’.

Yes, we know. Just accept it is what it is and get on with it ffs.

This constant need to vindicate the ‘we need a new manager’ stance is fucking agonisingly boring to keep reading.

1 Like

There really is no point of discussing anything then on these forums. Since we can’t influence the clubs decisions regardless of the subject.

3 Likes

It’s not a stance, it’s just a fact that’s really hard to avoid mentioning when talking about Arsenal.

7 Likes

How about you accept people are going to talk about it and just suck that up?

2 Likes

You had 1 simple task to answer the question and you failed to do so lol.

just bored of just totally boring negative people like your yourself…LOL! Every single second you get the change to big up another teams player ala Ibra or say something negative about us you go for it…yaaaawwwwnn what a way to live, why support Arsenal when you cant find anything good about them.

1 Like

But not bored of the same failings for the past Decade ? makes sense.

2 Likes

Well thats fair enough but dont criticise the players then or lack of transfer activity because that falls on the manager too.
So you see your sentiment although valid really wont hold up.

What a stupid thing to say.

An attitude towards something is the very definition of a stance.

im fed up with with it also, but at the same time what can we do, we either support or not but some people on here genuinely dont seem to find anything nice about the club…everything is Negative Sanchez is gonna leave, this clubs is gonna crumble this is the year we are below the fucking spuds yadda yadda…tired of it!

Yes the perpetual failings are pissing me off but EVERYTHING negative come on, and seemingly positive things can be said about other teams players etc but they are below us and we have better players! How many people keep on carrying on about Ibra when Giroud has done just as good for us so has Sanchez but all we hear about is Ibra every fucking week its updated that he scored again WHO GIVES A FLYING MOTHER FUCK! Focus on us…he will never join us we would never have him either he is 35 and will only last a small amount of time, same thing about how we would be dead in the water because we have pep, klopp and Mourinho to deal with…jesus, why is the sky always falling for us but even clubs below us have shining beacons of hope, but fuck me we are a bloody disaster everywhere!

1 Like

This sadly is true and I dont blame Wenger for the Nasri deal. What happened with Fabregas is hard to tell because I dont know if wenger promised him he could leave or not but Fabregas clearly thought he had and Gazidis then negotiated the best deal he could given the player had gone on strike !
The RVP deal was similar in that the club wanted to extract value for him,but agreeing to sell him to MUFC was a low blow for me and far worse than Nasri to City !
It seems from these reports Wenger did the selling but that surprises me as thats Dick Law and Gazidis department !
Could well be Sir Alex said something to him afterwards rather than during the deal !
Wenger loves to give the impression that he is in total control but it isnt as simple as that and he isnt !

Wenger doesn’t want to sell any player who is performing I’m sure. He barely wants to let go of the average ones lol

Henry, RvP, Nasri, Cesc etc left Arsenal because we had a stadium to build (that also ended up costing more = took longer than expected). Players asked and were told the truth or figured out themselves that we weren’t going to be competitive for a majority of the rest of their careers so they understandably left, the only ones who sat on remarkable resources that could’ve pushed in more dough to solve the problem didn’t but rather sold for profit as the mechanism to shorten the austerity, Wenger even said himself in interviews he was forced to sell against his will.

Why they didn’t could be for lots of reasons, personal greed, our stadium rebuild coincided with the huge financial crisis which maybe caused any potential investor to be more reluctant etc, I don’t know. But it was financial decisions taken upstairs that had nothing to do with stinking locker rooms, orange cones and formation selection.

Clearly RvP to United was a stab in the heart but I don’t think for a second that if you ask Wenger he’d feel that “yes I like to sell my good players to Manchester United, my main bitter rival for nearly my entire career”.

He knows he is judged and remembered for his success and behaviour, clearly he wants all the best players in the world, he loves the fact that the team he has scored the most goals vs. is Tottenham and he wants to win every trophy he competes for. But he is at a club that prefers to secure steady profit and he does the best he can with it like any other manager, before the austerity where he could buy and did so successfully, during where he had to break even and after when he started buying class acts again.

Whether that is good enough is ofc debatable and just an opinion as with his management decisions etc. but the rest doesn’t really leave much room for speculation imo.

1 Like

Really oompa , he let Pires and Edu go ,he also tried to get rid of Berkamp to Fulham , I think it’s fair to say all of the above were performing !

Just saying like !

I’m fairly sure Edu wanted to move to Valencia on a Bosman for the wages on offer and a better guarantee of first team football. He then got injured until April and missed basically the whole season. Pires wanted to leave because he was heartbroken at having been substituted in the CL Final in Paris in front of his family and friends. I can understand that for him this at the time damaged his relationship with Wenger and led to him wanting to leave, but Wenger made the right call in taking Pires off and keeping our players like Reyes, Ljungberg and Fabregas who had more running in them to cope with 75 minutes as underdogs with ten men against one of the best sides I’ve seen in my lifetime. Like Edu, Pires then sustained bad injuries and was never the same.

So even if Wenger chose to get rid and the players wanted to stay (which they absolutely didn’t), he got those calls right imo.

As for wanting to sell Bergkamp to Fulham, that doesn’t sound right to me at all. Have you got anything to back that up or is it based on whispering you heard from local people as lots of your assertions are? Assertions I often believe btw, I’m not saying you’re a bullshitter or anything. I know we kept offering Bergkamp one year deals into his thirties due to the policy at the time with over 30s. This policy was flawed but luckily Bergkamp kept signing them and wanted to stay despite the lack of security. Thank God for that. But in my eyes that doesn’t equate to Wenger actively trying to get rid of perhaps our greatest ever player.

I agree Wenger made the right call there but Pires would have already have been signed up if we’d offered him more than a one year deal at the time.

Well Edu left on bosman, Pires was 33 or so and Bergkamp 35 iirc! ten years ago few top teams gave 33+yo attacking players full play time, keepers barely. I agree he did let them go but not that he wanted rid of them, they could’ve stayed if they accepted the terms I’m sure, but I think everyone understood that you have to start phasing in other players at some point. If they wanted to play under different conditions they were allowed rather. Edu got his move to Valencia, DB retired, Pires had a good time at the Madrigal.

Edu went cos he asked for more wages and they wouldnt pay him more than 45 l a week .
Pires went because he wanted a longer deal than wenger offerred .
Both were crucial to us at the time and we were dumb to let both go at the same time !

The Berkamp bit is a nailed on fact and one of the reason you NEVER hear Berkamp comment on Wenger because he felt betrayed by him not once but twice in his career !

Those Invincebles got a little but older and he was building a new team around Fabregas and van Persie. Getting ‘rid’ of most of those guys and continue with the others was the right decision imo. Problem was we couldn’t keep Hleb at the club in '08 and it pretty much only got worse from there.

1 Like

Fair play!

In 2001 as well, Jesus Christ Arsene :flushed:

Edit: one little thing. We didn’t let Edu and Pires go at the same time, they left the club a season apart from each other. Edu after the 04/05 season and Pires after the 05/06 season. Maybe you were thinking of Edu and Vieira leaving at the same time.

Also 45k a week was quite a lot at that time for a player who wasn’t a nailed on starter for us, as I seem to remember key players only being on numbers like 60k. Given how his career went after Wenger made the right call not to give him a five year contract on high wages, which is what Valencia did.

fair enough at my age the years blur into each other , I liked Edu alot and felt he would have been worth a pay rise !

1 Like