Arsène Wenger

I reckon he is lying…i doubt we would go after a manager with 1/2 a decent season behind him.

Why would he though?

to big himself up maybe, or maybe he is being sarcastic. Comes across a bit sarky what he said ‘It was a well-researched story. There was a lot of truth to it.’ sounds like he could say that with his eyes rolling

1 Like

If we were after him, would he not be a bit more discreet about it?

I don’t know, I just can’t see us going for him based on a couple of months.

Wow. Does anyone ever watch his teams? I’d love to know how his style compares and contrasts to Wenger’s.

Not that he is nailed on for the job, Arsenal will probably have a seriously large shortlist to interview / discuss the position with.

I’d imagine every manager in the world would welcome the Arsenal job.

Exactly. It’s entirely possible that the club is looking at a really long list of candidates just in case that Wenger doesn’t extend his contract. Not really something that is unusual or he’d have to lie about.

It’s not based on a couple of months. He was a very highly rated coach (and there were some who thought he was the best coach in the Bundesliga last year) even before this season. Also, you obviously need to show something before you’re hired by Leipzig in the first place.

But, no I don’t think this is going to happen either. I don’t even think the club has been in contact with him (he sounds more sarcastic if anything). I certainly wouldn’t be against it though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This kinda makes him sounds like he’s trolling:

“I have heard of worse fates than succeeding the longest-serving manager in England. It’s not damaging my reputation, is it?” “We don’t have to put too much thought into it,” he said of the Arsenal link. “I have found my luck here.”

I think Wenger’s influence in picking his own successor is going to be pretty significant, so for a while now I’ve been thinking the French market will be where his unlikely successor comes from. Just a hunch mind you, I’d be really surprised if it’s any of the likes of Benitez, Simeone, de Boer, Tuchel etc etc etc.

I think it’s going to be either Laurent Blanc or someone much lower profile from France, particularly Gourvennec (Bordeaux manager) or maybe Genesio (less likely to prise away from Lyon you’d suspect)

I don’t think any manager should choose his successor.
Wenger hasn’t won the PL for more than ten seasons and is no closer to winning that, or the CL than he was then, so why would, or should, he be allowed to make such an important decision?

All managers have massive ego’s, so they are unlikely to pick anyone who might walk in and be successful with the same group of players they have failed with, and Wenger is no different.

You only have to look at Ferguson choosing Moyes.
We all knew, including Ferguson, he wasn’t the right man for such a big job.

1 Like

Wenger is far too invested in Arsenal to not want the club to succeed. That you can be absolutely sure of.

His attachment to the club has been about development, growth and embedding a philosophy. He would never detract from what could be considered his life’s work, for the sake of an ego. Something which it’s fair to say Wenger really doesn’t have much of.

1 Like

Difference being Wenger is not a dick.

I think Wenger, like any manager, has a massive ego.
Look at the players he has persevered with, even if it was dragging us down, because he couldn’t admit he was wrong.
We still have plenty of players in this squad that he still picks for the first team, even though we all know they aren’t good enough.
Or the amount of tactical decisions he fails to make when things aren’t going right, because he can’t see that what he is doing is wrong.
Look at the situation with the top players that left us every season and Wenger saying they wouldn’t leave this club, because he thought we were too big to sell our best players.
Also the way he blames everyone, including the players, and even supporters, when things are going wrong, rather than admit it could be his fault.

I’m not saying his ego is bigger than any other manager, but it is there for all to see.

1 Like

Not admitting he was wrong is one way to look at it, but there are plenty of players that he has bought that have got frozen out or couldn’t buy a game so I don’t believe that at all.

As @Drayton has mentioned, the board went over his head and sold Fabregas, Nasri etc. It’s important to remember Wenger doesn’t speak out of turn about his employers, and takes a lot of responsibility for decisions and situations that aren’t always his doing.

What you see as an arrogance to not admit he was wrong, I see as an old romantic that truely believes and trusts in his players, that understands what real football, and subsequently the journey of a player is all about.

You can accuse him of being a fool, deluded and even inadequate. But no one should ever be led to believe anything other than Arsene Wenger loves Arsenal, and would give everything he has to see it succeed.

His legacy has nothing to do with trophies and personal accolades, and everything to do with building an entire club, quite literally from the ground up.

It’s a shame that vision is lost because the board don’t see fit to transition to a new manager yet, but the responsibility and root cause for under achievement at Arsenal sits with them.

Aren’t you tired of spouting this false bull you spout here every now and then? It only requires the most basic understanding to toss these shite arse guesses of how buying and selling works at the Arsenal and the dumb arse guesses on his personality traits out the window.

It is nobody’s fault but yours that you, in 2016, still don’t understand Wenger didn’t want to sell RvP and Cesc etc. And that he doesn’t pocket any money, nor does he run any projects to amuse himself, nor does he struggle to shift out players which is why we have shifted out our entire fucking starting IX in the last 4 years, and we have to fill a homegrown quota so if you want to sell Ox, Ramsey, Walcott, Jenko and Gibbo out then suggest another 5 homegrown players you’d like us to pay an inflated £40m+ for that would improve the team. Stop repeating lies in an attempt to get people to believe in them and get with the program, it’ll save you much grief lol

1 Like

You say this, and then say,[quote=“oompa, post:2067, topic:125”]
still don’t understand Wenger didn’t want to sell RvP and Cesc etc. And that he doesn’t pocket any money, nor does he run any projects to amuse himself, nor does he struggle to shift out players which is why we have shifted out our entire fucking starting IX in the last 4 years,
[/quote]

When have I said Wenger wanted to sell RVP, Nasri and Cesc?
Or that he pockets money, or runs projects to amuse myself?

You accuse me of talking rubbish, and then come out with a load yourself.[quote=“oompa, post:2067, topic:125”]
Stop repeating lies in an attempt to get people to believe in them and get with the program,
[/quote]

What lies, and what program?

1 Like

all over the forums ever since you joined. half of themn are in your own post right above.

Tell me then.
If you are going to make accusations, back them up.

What lies?
Name one or shut up.

I have a hundred fucking times, read your own posts, sorted. We have done this enough times.

I’m still waiting.
You are floundering.
I take great execution to being called a liar, so unless you take it back, or prove it, you are the one who is making stuff up.