Arsène Wenger

Shouldn’t these discussions be taking place in the silent Stan thread ?

Except I’m not sure that would be legit to do with a company you own 67% as opposed to doing with a company you own outright. As we’ve seen with the Glazers at man u there are clear distinctions between what owners can do when they own as opposed to being the majority shareholder. He didn’t need any cash in the bank to get 400m plus in loans to buy Arsenal shares because the value of the asset he was buying was clear enough. I’m guessing the same will apply to his farm or his stadium in LA. So yea you’re painting a way he could use the money (we disagree on the legitness of it but let’s just say neither of us know the score fully there) but he has no reason to do so and the banks have no reason to ask him to do so. If he doesn’t repay they’ll take the much more valuable asset, not the cash.

You’re being selective now. He’s only ever said that part of the reserves can’t be spent. And the only legit reason ever provided for that is a lean on approx 1-2 years stadium debt repayments so 30m or so max.

I thought we didn’t spend between 08-12, because of the stadium debt. Or so I was told by Wenger adepts.

1 Like

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2016/10/04/tracking-the-impact-of-arsenals-move-to-emirates-stadium-ten-years-on-was-it-worth-it/amp/

The stadium move was the right move. But because of the Sheikh takeover at Man City and the fact we had to settle for long term sponsordeals with Emirates and Nike back then make it seem we missed the boat a little bit. Whilst United signed shorter contracts and already got 80m/4 years back in 2010 with AON, Arsenal still needed to wait to negotiate. Hence the improvement might not seem that huge as it was supposed too.

1 Like

There is an Arsenal finances thread.

1 Like

Back on track… FOW
You have no right to decide when youll leave fuck your legacy its ruined… The reason you didnt take other jobs was not because of loyalty it was because you had no bottle to take on a club that wants to win at all costs…
C’est la vie

When you think back Ash. This is the man who gave us Silvestre, sender’s, dojo when we needed a defenders.
Chamack when we needed a striker.
Cast off Le coq and flamini when we needed midfielders.
The list goes on and on.
Now all he will do is go into the market big time and buy us the striker we have needed for years.
The defenders we’ve needed for years.
The defensive midfielders ee’ve needed for years.
And then he’ll mismanage everything again and get sacked. Yippeeee!!!
Tic tac tacticless Wenger will bite the dust. LmAO.

1 Like

Super Sanogo

1 Like

I’m reading some reports about Bakayoko turning Wenger down. I don’t know if it’s reliable, but the two arguments often used in Wenger’s defence these days (ability to get top four and his pull on players) seem debatable too.

2 Likes

I think wengers turning into Bob Monkhouse…with that smarmy all knowing grin… You know you want to…

1 Like

I can’t really see what pull he’d have on international under 25s these days anyway. Finishing top 4 consistently means nothing to a player, maybe the last 1 or 2 would count for something. But we suck in Europe and nobody really cares who won the domestic cup in any top league 2 years ago. You might go Wenger, I’ve heard of him but I doubt anyone really looks at him and sees a genius that you’re desperate to play for.

We haven’t even had a good French player since who? I’m struggling to remember any since Henry who has been gone a decade. Sagna? Kos? maybe but they’ve never been international stars consistently.

Wenger is just another coach these days. Nothing wrong with that as pretty much everyone else is too but there’s no point trying to pretend he holds much sway with anyone. He might be liked by some people but I doubt very much he’s still got a “big reputation in Europe” like some would have you believe (Im happy to be shot down by Europeans who can dispute it though)

4 Likes

No. Wenger being a bottler and somebody who can’t deliver when it’s time to deliver has the overhand nowadays I feel like.

5 Likes

Nail hit well and truly on the head there Len
Wenger will never be a great manager
He is a manager at a GREAT club .
That’s the difference.

3 Likes

Literally came to say the same thing. He’s lost his pull on talent these days as only players around 10 years ago remember him being successfull.

2 Likes

Beat City, West Ham, Palace, Boro and City again and i think he is gonna announce he is staying.

1 Like

If you really want me to explain it to you then you’re a bit more daft than I gave you credit for.

Interesting thread.

#WengerOut banner at a hockey game in “Finland”. It’s turned into a meme! :raised_hands:

https://twitter.com/Exfootballfan/status/847128594023415809

1 Like

Around the world

3 Likes