Arsenal's Best Possible Starting XI?

I believe Wenger genuinely wants to get rid of a lot of these players now, but is unable to partly down to a situation of his own making.

The guy’s excessively loyal but not stupid, I can’t believe privately he doesn’t want shot of Jack Wilshere by now

1 Like

Cech; Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal; Chamberlain, Xhaka, Ramsey, Kolasinac; Ozil, Sanchez; Lacazette

Simple really.

1 Like

People who say Theo is shit infuriates me. He is clearly not shit, shit players don’t get anywhere near contributing a goal and or assist every 120 minutes.

Just because a player costed 50m, it doesn’t mean he’s better than what we have, it just means there is more hype surrounding him. I’ll have to see Laca play more but I was not impressed in the slightest. He looks to have a terrible first touch, hardly got into any goal scoring positions, the defenders had an easy time coping with him, and his link up play was non existent.

1 Like

It infuriates the rest of us how you’re judging Lacazette off the back of 4 pre-season games, whilst simultaneously overlooking the extensive periods of mediocrity that litter the Arsenal career or Theo Walcott

2 Likes

Theos biggest enemy has been the stop start nature of his career. Revisionist history at it’s finest in regards to Theo. Everyone was crying for him to sign his most recent contract. Why? Thought he was shit? He was doing the business for us, every time he starts getting momentum in his career he gets injured. Otherwise he’d be nearing 200 goals for us by now.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with easing players in for the first few weeks. Even a superstar like Sanchez, who Wenger said from the start he plans to play at CF, played out wide for the majority. Our manager has a habit of playing mobile forwards out wide first before CF. It’s a hard role to be thrown into.

1 Like

good post, forgot this.

I’m not that high on Lacazette just because he cost 50 million quid and I’m sure if you read all my content on him you’d see I think he’s overrated, but he is a far superior footballer to Theo Walcott.

Fair play if you dont rate Laca all that highly. However limited Theo is as a football player he still comes up with what we need and that’s goals and assists. We don’t need him to do a bunch of flashy bullshit in all reality. It’s funny because people are wanking over Nelson because he has some great skills, well so did a guy like Gervinho but when shit hit the fan the end product wasn’t there. Theo has been a great servant of the club. He’s played about 27,000 minutes in his career because of injuries, to put that into perspective that’s the same amount of game time that KDB has in his young career. People bang on about Theo taking 10 years to score 100 goals for us, mother fuckers do you realize that he’s scoring at an insane rate per minute? Lol just because he’s not easy on the eye he’s shit apparently though, ok.

1 Like

Alright, I’ll bite; why do you think he is overrated?

It can’t be his goalscoring record:

13/14: 15 goals
14/15: 27 goals
15/16: 21 goals
16/17: 28 goals

And it can’t really be his origin league where the likes of Ibrahimovic, Cavani, Hazard, Rodriguez, Falcao, Thiago Silva, Drogba, Henry, Benzema, Anelka, Ronaldinho, Ribery, Trezeguet, Wiltord, Pires, Aubameyang have all thrived and moved on to become excellent to greats of the game…

So what is it that you don’t rate? I mean, I don’t think he is the bee’s knees, but he is an excellent player who has an opportunity to see if his style suits the Premier League.

I think he’s a good striker but not great, scores a very high % of penalty goals etc… Inflated stats a little due to some poor French teams, when you look at his goal scoring record in Europe and for the national team it isn’t that good.

I’m looking forward to seeing how he goes in the Premier League, hopefully he scores 20 + league goals but I’m thinking more the 13-18 bracket.

^ I think Lacazette and Sanchez need to be combining for ~40 PL goals to hold us in good stead, particularly if we continue with just the 3 attackers (Ozil, Alexis, Laca).

1 Like

Yeah I agree with that as you know your not really going to get anymore than 8 from Ozil.

We could have had

Aubemayang, got Laca

or Kante, got Granit

We could have got much better than Gabrial, Elnenny, Perez, Mustafi…

Transfer policy been shit we end up with 2nd or 3rd rated players that would get nowhere near Chelsea or City.

We are in a fight with Liverpool, Everton and Spurs for 4th place and we’ll be lucky to get it. Sad times given 10+ seasons sacrificed as a selling club to pay for the stadium

1 Like

Lacazette for Walcott and we have got a deal.

If Ramsey starts most games in a 3-4-3 then he’ll be expected to provide an important goal return too. His late runs have come into play a fair bit more with Xhaka alongside him in this formation.

2 Likes

I think Ramsey could have a stormer given our late run last season and his form this pre-season.

Would be amazing to have him back to his best and only 7.0 on FPL!!

No doubt, can reach 10-12 in the league if the body lets him.

Well he got 10 goals and 9 assists in like 1,700 minutes in the league so can probably get more realistically if he stays fit.

Was interested to hear what people think about the composition of our 3 at the back system. Do you prefer all three players to be classic centre backs or do you go with two of those with a full back type?

We have Koscielny, Mustafi, Holding, Chambers and Mertesacker in the squad but it’s looking likely that Wenger will play Monreal/Kolasinac in the three week in week out. Are people generally on board with that or would you rather see three classic CB’s?