Arsenal Vs Middlesbrough (Premier League)

There’s no excuse when you’re playing two defensive midfielders against relegation fodder, and still conceding goal scoring chances.

I feel we went into the game with the wrong attitude thinking the games already won. How many times have we done this for the first half and then chase the game in the 2nd over the years.

Despite the poor result, I thought Koscielny was insanely good today.

1 Like

LOL us Gooners were terrible at judging this match, literally 100% of us were wrong, some on Middlesborough to win and a huge amount for us to win…what happens we draw :poldi:

Not seen the game, but sounds like the lack of striker options was a problem. Giroud would’ve been well suited to this game today. Alexis long term is a better option up front, but there are times where Giroud is a better option for certain games, and this would’ve been one. If only he were fit.

We often had a problem last season of looking slow and tired after playing a Champions League game, I’m sure that played a small factor, plus Cazorla’s absence was apparent.

The winning run I guess had to end sometime, but I was hoping we’d bag a few more wins at least before we get to the big games in November.

So much for my 5-0 win thoughts earlier. Another one fucked up by our good selves. How do we not put these games to bed in the first 20 minutes? Fuck’s sake!

speaking of attackers, That Adama Traore looks something special. wouldn’t mind having him in the squad.

The former Barca and Villa player ;). He has always been highly-rated.

Wondered who he was. Seems there’s a few Traores around.

Elneny and Coq can’t be a central midfield pairing when you are trying to break down battlers at home, it was a concern of mine going in but I still thought we’d get the job done.

2 Likes

Couldn’t help thinking that Wilshere on the right (or middle) could have been useful… we were crying out for a player to break things down instead of pass around and around and hope that we could unlock with sheer movement and passing precision (which was diabolical today).

this was the real crime… we were all over them… it was completely ridiculous how they couldn’t even hold onto the ball and we were just keep coming at them… but no goal and then they get a couple of chances due to our errors and suddenly they gain in confidence and our pressing gets just a tad less coordinated and the game changes.

A game crying out for an early goal with the form of our players on the day.

2 Likes

Funny, but I watched the Bournemouth/Spuds game before ours hoping for the Cherries to smack 'em. Jack seems to lack some of the bite he’s renowned for.

1 Like

That’s true… he hasn’t exactly lit things on fire there, but the type of player he was for us would have been useful in this game… someone to burst through a line and create problems when our perimeter passing was lacking bite.

2 Likes

This was just one of those games which on paper looked like and easy win all day but turned out to be a lot tougher on the pitch. Just a combination of factors that lead to this result : Our potent attack looking dull, Ozil being the main culprit, not having either Santi or Xhaka in the middle just killed all creativity, Boro playing two banks of 4 in defence. All of these reasons meant a point was not a bad one to take, especially given how we could have easily lost this game on another day but for Cech and some poor finishing from Boro.

Very impressed by that Traore chap. I would say we should watch him closely. Fearsome pace, power and good amount of skill on the ball. The only question is, can he do this consistently and can he do it against opposition that does not afford him so much space to run into like we did. If I were AW, I would be following this guy for the rest of the season and sign him up as soon as we can, if he is any good.

Jack is having to adapt his game to playing for a team like Bournemouth. He gets very little of the ball and often times, just gets a touch or two to make a telling contribution. At Arsenal he had the luxury of receiving the ball, have a few touches, then either running with it or picking a pass. At Bournemouth, especially against the big teams, he needs to be very quick in his head cause the moment he receives the ball, he is surrounded by players. Also, while he is still trying to go past players, I think he is being a little smart in not inviting as many tackles as he would normally when playing for us. He is getting rid of the ball quicker and in the process avoiding getting caught by a late tackle. Just something he has worked out to keep himself from picking up nasty injuries I guess. Also explains the lack of bite.

1 Like

I just think his heart is not in it with Bournemouth the way it is with us. Yes, you can call it ‘smart’ I suppose, but to me he just doesn’t look as interested. Now don’t go inferring the Spuds are a “big team”.:santi2:

Özil’s ineffectiveness is a glaring problem, especially when other outlets are spent too, it looks like the flat football we’ve seen of recent years. He clearly looked tired today, no doubt about it. A weeks rest is what he’ll get but I’d be concerned for the future and how Wenger rotates him, the clustered fixture list looms ahead for December but by then we’ll have another midfielder in Ramsey to turn to.

It’s a case of not having all the right components for the day. While I thought Elneny was very tidy, he simply can’t replicate Santi’s attributes; those two magical feet of his may have twinkle-toed there way around that Boro back line.

Giroud; having him available today, even as a sub at 60 minutes would have been such a big life line to possess. The big guy will and should rightly be sidelined in favour of the Iwobi - Alexis - Walcott but such a game like yesterdays would have seen him revel up front as we sent balls into the middle of the box, target man style.

So, whilst it was a tired, frustrating performance, and one that will present itself in the future against other teams that are coy enough to play a strong back line, we should be better suited to it with the likes of Ramsey and Giroud both due to return next week. A shame we couldn’t capitalise with the three points however it’s still far from time to rule us out yet as some Tit already has in another thread, because we have plenty more to offer with this team.

2 Likes

We just havent found a way to beat well organised defences when plan A fails . it shows when carzola isnt there and although Elneny did ok we didnt penetrate .In defense we had no answer to Traores runs much like we had problems last week too. Back to earth after a good run ,just have to get up and go again . The next Batch of games will test us so just need to concentrate and work hard off and on the ball.

1 Like

Yesterday was a large part about the failings of the Alexis false 9 experiment. While we had the ball in the final third we often had no players bar maybe Theo in the box. Our gameplan was playing in straight lines to feet and looking for a pass to Alexis 30 yards out where time and again 3 players would be tight to him and pickpocket him.

We were actually crying out for Giroud or Welbeck to cross it to today. The few crosses for our midget false 9 looked all wrong.

With all credit it to them Wesb Brom defended brilliantly.

It’s just not crosses isn’t.

Giroud would have occupied their CB’s better with his physicality, presented a better target for Mustafi’s long balls and would have encouraged more efficient link up play in the opposition box too.

Only one forward player won an aerial duel in the opposition’s box. Iwobi, Alexis Lucas didn’t win a single one all match. We’re missing physicality and grit in the forward line.

I personally want to see how Ramsey and Giroud interacts with Iwobi tbh. I have a feeling Iwobi’s intelligence in the final third would work well with Giroud in particular

2 Likes

Well, when the other team parks with 6 in a line and another 4 right in front of them you’re going to have a hard time to break them down.

1 Like

You’d have to say Alexis and especially Özil were especially disappointing yesterday for this reason, it’s their job, especially Özil’s, to pick the lock, and they didn’t do it, with Özil looking uncharacteristically imprecise.

2 Likes