Alexis Sánchez

Tbh I think that’s a clear keeper blunder. Maybe it takes him a bit by surprise but it’s far enough out and not hit with enough power for him to not react in time.

Was thinking, what do you guys think is Alexis best goal for Arsenal? Off the top of my head there’s the strikes against Liverpool and United, the goal against Villa in the cup final, and the free kick against Southampton. For me the one that always comes to my head is against Hull though, the others are really just free kicks or long shots, that one had everything, and even though I didn’t watch it live and had been told it was an amazing goal I couldn’t believe it when he scored it.

Second for me would probably be the Liverpool one mentioned, because there was just something cool aesthetically about it, I didn’t really think he had that type of shot on, or that he could get much power, and then all of a sudden boom, rockets off his boot out of nowhere, take that Mignolet you inept cunt, 3-0 (or 4 or whatever it was).

Cup final goal for me. For the occasion and how good it was and the fact you didn’t expect it.

4 Likes

Which one was the goal against Hull? Was it the one where he drifted into the box from the left wing, cut inside and quickly despatched it near post in the tightest of angles? Whichever goal that was it’s certainly up there as one of the most skilful goals he’s scored for us.

Nah, it was in the autumn of his first season here, dribbled down the right and then had a pretty spectacular finish out of nothing with very little angle or space to shoot.

Nothing negative, sir.

We just need to do our best to keep him and Ozil.
Since we are not really a favorite to win something big, paying the premium is the next thing we can do to keep our best players.

Sanchez is in his prime, no long-term injury record, won the South American Cup, La Liga and EPL proven.
The amount that @Aussiegooner suggested is something realistic.

2 Likes

He signed for us for less money while we were in a far more uncompetative position.

This whole going rate thing is football manager / fifa talk and is in reality foolhardy.

It takes no other element into consideration.

It’s true he signed for us when he was relatively cheap, but he wasn’t wanted at Barcelona and we were the only top club willing to pay what they wanted.
If that wasn’t true then he would have either stayed at Barcelona, gone to a bigger club, or gone to a smaller club willing to pay him more money.
So considering our status, and the fact we were willing to pay what he considered fair, means we paid the going rate for him.

1 Like

Sorry for being both rude and blunt here, but that’s just utter rubbish. You don’t have any idea who was in for him or what anyone else was prepared to pay, it simply fits your narrative to believe that.

You are more than welcome to choose believing Arsenal can attract player(s) and keep them just by the reputation without paying premium.

But they are the facts.
We were the only club willing to pay him what he wanted and give him CL football.
What other explanation is there?

Far more uncompetitive position ? Lets deal with the facts of that then, when we signed Sanchez we had won the FA cup, finished 7 points behind the Champions in the League and made the Round of 16 of the CL. Last season we made the Quarter Finals of the cup, Finished 10 points behind the Champions/ made Round of 16 of the CL. Not so sure why you think we are way more competitive now ?

There was an actual bidding war between us and Liverpool for his signature. Too assume he got less money out of that, when two Premier League club were fighting for him, seems a bit naive. Or he has a really shit agent.

We had our highest point total since 07/08, signed Ozil, to say that we were in a far more uncompetative position is a bit of a reach. We made a step that season with Mesut, but we haven’t growed either since then.

2 Likes

We absolutely have grown.

And points totals are as much a reflection of the opposition as it us.

I really find a lot of this a tad simple and I am going to end it here because I have no desire to discuss it further.

Edit: also sorry it wasn’t clear enough.

He signed for less money than this apparent 200k going rate, and hasn’t really grow significantly since then.

Easy way out hahaha.

Points totals have been consistent for years and what you achieve at a certain total. Last season doesn’t change that.

2 Likes

Read the edit.

If you think we haven’t grown as a club in the last few years then lol.

LOL what a load of shit.

2 Likes

In what way?
We made a leap in 13/14, but since then we have been on the same level pretty much.

4 Likes

In what way.
If we have, then why are Ozil and Sanchez still stalling on a new contract, why are we still waiting for a top quality striker and why are we no where nearer to winning the PL and still going out in the first round of the CL?

1 Like

Virtually all players take time to negotiate contracts. How you think that’s attributed only to our two key players is beyond me.

For a start we have pretty great striker in Alexis, I implore you to watch his goals for Chile the other day as a little reminder.

Furthermore, why are we no closer to winning the title? We finished second, yes points totals blah blah. The league is growing more competitive and it’s harder for any single team to dominate like they used to. I imagine league winning point totals are actually on a negative trend over the last 10 or so years. But second is second.

Lastly, our signings have been pretty on point lately and we have obviously stepped up in quality, how that isn’t obvious I don’t know.

[quote=“Oliver, post:442, topic:98, full:true”]
Virtually all players take time to negotiate contracts. How you think that’s attributed only to our two key players is beyond me.
[/quote]When you consider our record of losing every top player we have had, then that is the reason why people are concerned about our two best players not signing new contracts.

[quote=“Oliver, post:442, topic:98”]
For a start we have pretty great striker in Alexis, I implore you to watch his goals for Chile the other day as a little reminder.
[/quote]If he is our striker, why has it taken Wenger two seasons to go from Giroud to Sanchez.
It’s not as if Giroud has been that great, so why didn’t he buy a ready made striker rather than turning Sanchez from a midfielder into a striker?[quote=“Oliver, post:442, topic:98”]

Furthermore, why are we no closer to winning the title? We finished second, yes points totals blah blah. The league is growing more competitive and it’s harder for any single team to dominate like they used to. I imagine league winning point totals are actually on a negative trend over the last 10 or so years. But second is second.
[/quote]We finished above spurs on the last game of the season, how is that any better than previous seasons.[quote=“Oliver, post:442, topic:98”]
Lastly, our signings have been pretty on point lately and we have obviously stepped up in quality, how that isn’t obvious I don’t know.
[/quote]We bought a DM, which should have been done the season before, when we only bought a GK, and the same with the CB position.
All we have done is buy what we needed, and yet we are still waiting for a striker and winger.