Alexis Sánchez

That also assumes we:

a) CAN get CL with Sanchez; and

b) we CAN’T get it without him

Reality is weighted probabilities establish the value of that equation.

People are being a bit pedantic about Invincible’s point… he is right that if we do NOT sell him this summer, we lose the opportunity to sell him at all… whether you want to call that a loss or a gain or a lack of loss/gain or whatever, it is a massive reduction in value of an asset we HAVE IN CONTROL this year that goes WAY down next year.

Look at it how you want… but selling him has cost/bene as does keeping him.

As many have said, the problem is that AW/Arsenal let the situation get to this point unresolved… now Sanchez has all the leverage and we are likely to get shafted one way or another, even if we make the CL next season (which frankly is the minimum standard we should be shooting for - as AW said, we did it for 17 years before Sanchez).

1 Like

I don’t understand why you’d pick the money over the player. It’s not like Arsenal is going to improve with the those funds. If it was any other club, sure. But Arsenal. I’d keep Sanchez. Hope he gets us Europa League (which again for this club is history being written) and be done with it.

2 Likes

You say they let it get here unresolved. But part of giving someone a 3 or 4 year contract (for example) and not a lifetime contract is you expect them to leave at some point.

Choosing to maximise game time since money isn’t something we are short of really isn’t as big a deal as it’s being made out.

If we were in need of money, sure, but we aren’t

1 Like

Not really sure what you are arguing… it is just bad management practice to put yourself in this position with your most valuable assets… it is simple. Yeah, we can survive without having him locked in longer or with getting the proper fee for him, but we would be better if we managed it more optimally (or rather could have b/c this may be out of our control).

I’m not saying it is malpractice or a shambles because these things happen and frankly maybe Alexis has gone insane and really wants some astounding wage, which puts us in the position we are in.

1 Like

Not arguing anything. Just highlighting that players fulfilling 3-4 year contracts isn’t bad business.

1 Like

You guys are completely missing the point. It isn’t choosing one or the other, its about not being put in a position where you have a gun to your head and HAVE to decide. Right now this summer is do or die b/c he is out of contract next year. Anyway, this is beat to death - I think people are reading way too much into things but there is a reason it isn’t a great idea to let your best assets go into their final year of contract unresolved…

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone disputes this. We’re all just arguing from the point of view of we are where we are and taking the side we feel is favourable.

1 Like

Yeah there are two potential arguments - one: whether we prefer to keep him for one year and lose for free OR sell now (probably to rival) and lose him immediately but get 30-50 million…

AND

Did we screw up letting it get to this situation?

Frankly, I am ambivalent on both… I am torn about whether I want him to stay given the situation and our lack of competing regardless - but I love him. On the second point I also can see it both ways… I do feel like had we done a bit more to ensure stronger competitiveness during Alexis’ contract and perhaps also started negotiating sooner, we might have had a chance to extend - on the other hand, he may be being ridiculous right now and that might not have been different.

What frustrates me is people deliberately or lazily confusing the issues and picking at arguments in pedantic ways.

1 Like

its quite simple. Which of the two options holds the most value to Arsenal?

^

bringing in his replacement already and then ship him off.

Or have him sign a 5 years contract to begin with. We bought Özil a year before we did Alexis and yet they’re out of contract in the same year.

If you mean by replacement someone of similar quality then yeah sure.

It isn’t going to be any easier next summer than it is this one.

Ideally Wenger starts building for the future from this summer on anyway and moves players on that have no future at the club asap while filling those spots with the required quality. Otherwise the season after is only going to become another season of transition with Alexis’ replacement needing a season to get used to the environment and all that stuff.

I say keep Alexis and sign his replacement this summer and give him a year to bed in

1 Like

That’s the best scenario by far. That £50m isn’t worth losing the chance to have a significantly stronger squad than last season.

2 Likes

There’s always chance Sanchez might change his mind and be convinced to sign a new contract at the end of the season, especially if we have a really ambitious transfer window and then a convincing season with more silverware than an FA Cup (not that it will happen with Wenga at the helm because the old man simply can’t cut it anymore, but I’m just saying, maybe he can fool him). If we want to compete, we have to build onto firm foundations. Losing our best and most efficient player is not a statement of competition, it is just replacing what we couldn’t keep. If he goes at the end of his contract, he goes. At least we would have used him to the maximum of his footballing abilities, which is all we, as football fans, need to be concerned with. I refuse to care about the accounting aspect of a prospective sale, it simply shouldn’t happen. Our team needs further improvements and yes, that requires resources but we should accrue those resources in ways different than selling our star player, otherwise it just defeats the purpose of improving the team!

3 Likes

Wonderful little reply feature on here. Try using it? :smile:

Also with Lacazette now joining, it isn’t huge mental gymnastics to quickly realise you cant bring in a world class Alexis replacement just yet given that there isn’t any on pitch space for all of them in the current formation.

No huge issue with finding a replacement wide forward next summer, plenty about.

There is always the right side of the pitch where you can play that world class Alexis replacement but I know I know… Players of that quality can only play on one side of the pitch and are not at all flexible in their position as you like to think yourself, so that’s obviously not going to work.

Alexis - Lacazette - Ozil

You utter tit :giroud3:

Such as?

I ask because I was trying to come up with names recently and I found it very difficult to come up with more than 2 or 3.

Mbappe or dybala will make us wonder why we were so worried about replacing Sanchez next summer