Alexis Sánchez

Ha yeah, RVP had just turned 29 when we sold him and Alexis will be 29 this year. For a smart guy, his memory is failing him. He also said we would not sell RVP, so the situations are actually pretty identical.

Though to be fair, he has reiterated the intention to keep Sanchez a lot more than he did with RVP.

Also, Alexis isn’t the sort of player to half arse something. Keeping him is the best choice. Especially if we have a summer bedding in new signings like Kolasinac etc

I feel like this really needs to be put to bed. Its simply not how it works. Money not received is just not the same thing as “costing us money”.

4 Likes

If we Sold him you’d be saying “same old wenger blah blah blah”

It looks as if we are going to make him honour his contract and not sell him to a prem rival and low and behold your wingeing about that too you really are a joke

There’s not much recent evidence to really support it, but it is on Wenger to change that. Keeping Alexis is a huge call and if it merely means that top4 is the peak of expectations then the club might as well sell him now.

(not trying to get into the whole keep him or sell him discussion again btw)

I just don’t get that logic. There are so many other factors in play. That’s all :wink:.

Keeping Alexis and adding Laca is a sign that Wenger is doing his best to get us back into the top 4 IMO.

Getting into the CL is as competitive as ever and if we dont make a stand now then it could be a very slippery slope, and Wenger isnt stupid and knows this.

If Sanchez can get another great goal return with the addition of Laca, we should be more than comfortable next season I believe. Lose Alexis and it could go horribly wrong for us, its balanced on a knife edge.

We are also forgetting that our current crop of players are no mugs too. Xhaka has been inaugurated, Iwobi is a great prospect, Holding looks fantastic, Mustafi has had a season under his belt. And the rest.

If we added someone like Lemar we would actually challenge for the title, no doubt about it.

I whingeing because we shouldn’t be in this situation.
It’s supporters like you constantly defending Wenger and every decision he made that is annoying.
Come back to me at the end of the transfer window and tell me how brilliant it was.

I’m not defending anything I’m criticising you, Please find me posts by anyone that is praising wenger for the current situation

Litrelly no matter how the current situation is resolved it will be the worst possible resolution in your book

If we keep him he’s costing us £1m a match and if we sell him its same old wenger saying one thing and doing another and it makes you look stupid to anyone with half a brain

He shows grit for once. Good one boss :kos2:

[quote=“InvincibleDB10, post:3507, topic:98”]
If this decision means we aren’t going to get Lemar, or another decent midfielder, it would be another under whelming window.
[/quote]I want to believe we are keeping Sanchez because we also want to add big players. This thing could push Alexis to sign a new contract.

If you think it’s worth keeping a player that is clearly unimpressed with the club and wants to leave that we are going to pay 1m a game for the privilege, then that’s up to you, but I think it’s the wrong decision.
I also don’t want to see him walking away for nothing to a club like Man U or Chelsea, and then playing against us, winning trophies while we don’t get anything for him.

I would rather get a top quality replacement in for this season with the 50m we could get for him, than wait until the end of the season and have to do it then anyway.

I can’t see how this is stupid.

Such as?

Just read The Sun reports we are ready to offer him 16,5 mil per year :cech:

It’s stupid because I know for a fact if I could be bothered to go looking I would find posts by you saying we need to keep him at all costs and wenger is a disgrace if he sells him to city

Lemar or Mahrez?
At some point Wenger has got to replace him anyway, as well as Cazorla, so why not this transfer window?
Surely it’s better to have a player that wants to play for us than one who has made it obvious we aren’t good enough for him.
We’ve got more than 100m sitting in the bank as well as any money we get for Sanchez, I’m sure Wenger can get a suitable player.

Do they count as “top quality” though? I’d be happy enough with either, but one of those and no Sanchez makes us weaker, hence people wanting to keep Alexis. Wanting to play for us is all well and good, but we also need to put a team together who are going to challenge for major honours.

where the fuck have you got this £1m a game bullshit from!?

Honestly as if the rest of your financial projections werent bad enough, leave it alone ffs.

Well, it’s not as black and white as you make it sound. Getting 50 million for Sanchez is great but will you get a replacement equally good, equally well adapted to our style of play and the English game? I will even go as far as saying will you get someone who will settle down in London and like it here as much and not miss his mama like Reyes? There are just too many things that 50 million bucks do not guarantee. You can always say that there aren’t any guarantees that Sanchez has another season like he just did for us, or that he doesn’t get injured and misses most of the season and that would be a fair argument too.

So, it’s not really very easy to be certain of either approach, in which case, you go with the law of the averages, which in this case says, holding onto him, gives us a much better chance of getting a quality season out of him, like we have so far. If that happens, we might just get closer to winning the league. And who knows, if we do go on to have a stellar season and Citeh have another mediocre one, Sanchez might want to sign on after all.

I for one am glad Wenger is digging his heals in (or at least posturing that way) on this.

1 Like

If we turn down 50m for Sanchez and he plays around fifty games next season, that is potentially 1m a game it’s going to cost us.

As for my financial predictions, they are way more accurate than some of your predictions in the last few seasons.