Alexandre Lacazette (signed!)

Le Progrès, a Lyon based newspaper.

Hypothetically, who would people rather sign between Mahrez and Lacazette?

I know we’d probably be able to get both but we’re Arsenal so I just can’t see it.

I’d be happy with either play but more excited about Laca I think, proper striker.

Mahrez is one of the top wide talents in the world right now and we’d be absolute fools to pass up on him - people who claim he might be a one season wonder haven’t spent a lot of time watching him because he is consistently excellent and rarely backs down in the big games.

As for Lacazette I’m unable to comment on his ability but I mean surely he has to be a better option than Giroud, like surely?

Mahrez is a bigger jump over Walcott than Lacy is over Giroud.

If every other player in the team was really good Giroud would do fine IMO, and Mahrez is also a serious goal threat too.

1 Like

To me it’s Mahrez vs Ramsey/Wilshere/Iwobi or Laca vs Giroud/Walcott.

Can’t see Walcott getting minutes on the wing regardless.

1 Like

Signing Mahrez alone will not make Giroud the striker we need.

Of course Mahrez is a goal threat but he isn’t going to make up for Giroud’s limitations.

1 Like

Alexis - Giroud - Mahez as starters are all capable of scoring 15+ league goals each. We bring in Mahez and we create steady stream of goals coming from another forward player with the likes of Campbell, Iwobi, Gnabry, Ox providing single digits in rotation.

Theo should be sold to fund his purchase tbh, we could get £25M+ easy tbh

1 Like

Napoli already buying Milik with that Gonzalo cash flow. Every other ‘top’ team seems to have their situations in order in regards to forwards so this really could just be a one way train, whereby we fill it with more money so it reaches it’s destination and hosts a banquet upon arrival.

As long as we could also get another cheap CF that was at least decent (like Ben Yedder) to provide depth, I guess I’d take Mahrez over Lacazette. My first reaction a few days ago was the opposite based mainly on simply wanting the striker situation resolved but I’ve changed my mind. I’m not really sure what to expect from Mahrez in the future given his unusual career trajectory but I think there is at least some chance that he solidifies a place as one of the world’s top wide forwards. I have a hard time seeing Lacazette ever being one of the world’s best center forwards. We need to take some risks on unusual players like Mahrez who could become truly world class because its pretty clear we’re not going to be paying the price for established world class players like Higuain or the price for the consensus elite talents in the 18-21 age bracket like Martial, Sane, Gabriel Jesus, Renato Sanchez, etc.

We make many offers clubs don’t seem to accept and they always seem to be millions of pounds short of what every normal person can see the club value the player at. We’re so afraid at the thought of overpaying for a player it’s almost embarrassing. We bid less than West Ham, a team with considerably less revenue than us and far less wealthier owners too.

We are the only club who seem to think we can dictate what the market is. It’s so infuriating.

Yes it’s frustrating i agree with u guys, I wish Dein was still pulling the strings.

Nice to see everyone lowering their expectations and making excuses that we’ll be fine without a new striker. Smh we can get the 4th place trophy without doing anything so what’s the point? Let’s just become the richest club in the world that never wins anything as that seems to be the ambition of the manager and a big segment of the support.

2 Likes

Ox and Theo will be like new signings.

I don’t think it is a choice of having either Mahrez or Lacazette…the rumours in respect of Mahrez are encouraging and I hope make a bid and sign the player. He would be an amazing signing and like a lot of you, I have been saying all summer than we should strengthen on the wing as well as in the CF/Striker position. Mahrez was on my summer wishlist and I want us to sign him. Alexis, Ozil and Mahrez behind a central striker would be amazing next season.

In terms of Lacazette there have been conflicting reports today of when we made the bid…the most reliable seem to suggest that we made the bid back in June either before or at a similar time to West Ham. Lyon ignored our bid and rejected West Ham and have said that they don’t want to sell. For me…this is the time that the player HAS to come out and say he wants to leave the club and that would give us encouragement to go back with another bid. I am usually very supportive of Arsenal about how professional we are in our transfer business, not tapping up other players and keeping things and discussions under wraps…but it does annoy me that we aren’t as aggressive as we should be. IF we wanted the player we would go back and offer £40m+ and do the deal.

I suspect that if the bid was indeed made back in June we have moved on from Lacazette - we bid for Vardy, Lacazette was our second option which failed…and therefore we must now be on our third option…something tells me this will go to deadline day - suspect we are waiting for fallout from other transfers and see if a player becomes available - have a sneaky suspicion that we would try and make a move for someone like Daniel Sturridge - get the impression that he isn’t in Klopp’s long term plans and is the type of player we could get for around £30m taking into account his injury record…I’m not saying that I want Sturridge…just saying I can see this type of transfer move in the last days of the window…really hope we sign a striker BEFORE the start of the season though!!!

Darren Lewis is a mirror journalist. Who has this story tomorrow

Lyon apparently said that they would do business for Lacazette for £40m plus bonus so we are £11m out…anyone else fancy a whip round? Reckon if enough Arsenal fans put some money in we would buy him!

1 Like

Allegri said that they don’t choose the valuation of the players, the market does. Hahahaha.

I tbought this rumor had legs until I found out that this bid was from June and that was it. It’s a non starter.