Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

I don’t think selling a player who has had as underwhelming a career at Arsenal as Ox has, with a year left on his contract for a sum of £40m (if true) would be dumb at all.

5 Likes

It would be silly the moment they are starting to blossom. The guy is still young and full of potential.

1 Like

We’re all talking about possibly having to accept 40-50m for Alexis because it’s the last year of his contract and generally considering that to be a somewhat reasonable sum. Then at the same time people seem to think that 40m for Oxlade Chamberlain who also only has a year on his deal would not be a good deal.

Oxlade Chamberlain has underachieved for most of his time at Arsenal, 40m would be an outrageous fee given his contract situation.

9 Likes

I agree.
Klopp is a big admirer of Chamberlain so he is definitely a good player, even if he lacks consistency.
I would rather sell Walcott, Ramsey or Wilshere than him.

If Chamberlaon goes, it means we are going to have to replace him, Cazorla and Sanchez, in the same window, which we all know is never going to happen.

We’re talking about a football player not a girl in puberty :joy:

1 Like

Exactly. Our board would just make a profit, plus i think the Ox is finally stepping up.

His worth for us is a squad player. I don’t think there is and won’t be a position in the first eleven for him to claim as undisputed number #1. If we can get 40 million for a squad player there shouldn’t really be any doubt…

£40m for him at this stage would represent value, no doubt.

But selling him at this stage, would be unwise. He’s become a solid member of the squad at wingback,

If we needed money to fund further transfers then that’s one thing, but we really don’t.

@JakeyBoy what people would that be?

But would he be a squad player with Sanchez and Cazorla not here?

Yes. Without those two Welbeck and Ramsey start.

I highly doubt the figures are true but if they are of course we should sell.

He’s easily upgradeable, people looking to turn down good money because of one decent season after a plethora of forgettable ones? That mindset is one of the biggest problems that permeate this club.

There are many things wrong with this club, but a fan wanting to keep a player is certainly not one of them.

Yes it is when said player is easily upgradeable and very good money is on the table for him with a year left to run on his contract.

Chamberlain has endeared himself to myself and many others last season, however, he is a decent to good squad player but that’s it, he’s never going to be top player.

Sentiment should not overrule logic.

3 Likes

Granted he has yet to fulfil his potential and has under performed.

But I think everyone getting hyped up over this needs to remember its the daily star who conjured up the story.

Really not worth wasting much energy on trying to argue.

Oh and, sentiment isnt playing a part in my assessment.

I get it, but would we spend that amount of money, then?

I think we would. The only question is what will we bring back.

It’s most likely bollocks anyway so don’t worry he’ll still be here next season new contract in hand.

Wenger is a creature of habit and hasn’t given up on players like Chamberlain before and won’t start now.

2 Likes

If we got Rodriguez ok, but a worse player than the Ox not.

Chamberlain is one of the few players we have that are young enough to have potential.
Players like Ramsey, Walcott, Wilshere, Gibbs, are about as good as they are going to get, and the rest of the first team are all fully established, experienced international players.

Apart form Bellerin, who might also be leaving, Chamberlain is about the only first team player we could regard as not the finished article.

He is definitely worth keeping, especially as Wenger can’t be trusted in the transfer market to do anything with the money we get for him.

1 Like

I think the potential argument has passed, he’s going to be 24 this year and despite a decent season just passed this is where we’re at with him still?

I think what you see from him is what you’re going to get, some will still be talking about potential when he’s 26 going on 27.

The Dembele’s, Mbappe’s, Pulisic’s and Gabriel Jesus’ have potential, Chamberlain should be above that now tbh.

9 Likes