Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

All it took for the Ox to start performing like this was us being linked to Riyad Mahrez. Just imagine, if just the thought of competition makes him this good, how good would he actually be if he had to fight that competition day in day out. All the more reason for us to sign Mahrez now. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Donā€™t really believe thatā€¦ he was always a trier, he is just not a smart footballer. Maybe he has been coached up, but I chalk it more up to the level of competition (All-Star team - as disorganized an opponent as you will get, and Chivas) and small sample size than anything else. I think Ox has desire though.

If Ox can stay healthy he might produce offensively but what I donā€™t like about Ox is his work rate when he doesnā€™t have the ball.

Yeah, I was being facetious. He certainly has the desire and tries hard and it comes off sometimes, other times, he just messes up because he doesnā€™t seem to have a clear thought process on what he wants to do with the ball. More often than not, you see him burst through a few defenders with the ball, at top speed, and then just blast the ball towards goal. He needs to learn that he doesnā€™t have to run at full tilt always, that he doesnā€™t have to burst the ball every time he shoots it. Letā€™s hope he comes good this season. Would hate to see him go down the path of Theo, Wilshere etc who just canā€™t seem to put together 1 good season, for whatever reasons.

Ox had a worldie of a pre season last year, didnā€™t build on it at all once the season started.

Last season Ospina and him were on a mission to get us out of the CL.

Pre-season is just practice game.

When the season starts, when we play against the real men, and the tackles are physical contacts are more harsh, see how long Ox can survive.

It is not about his football ability, it is about his physical health.

1 Like

Iā€™d even question his ability tbh, everyone getting so high of a couple pre-season games in which yes heā€™s been great and in an ideal world him being injury free would mean heā€™d become an excellent player for us.

But the fact remains he has suspect football IQ and his decision making is poor. I think heā€™ll be ultimately be a good squad player and thatā€™s his ceiling.

1 Like

Cool looks like we donā€™t need Mahrez now, RW is sorted.

:confounded:

If used sparingly, he will perform much better imo. I just donā€™t think he can take on the mental strain of a high-pressure-full-game. And for that, I donā€™t want to see him in the starting 11. Everyone makes mistakes of course however, I remember him being culpable for losing the ball three quarters up the pitch and the opposing team would then counter and score. I think that was the itch with him.

Mahrez would be a solid signing and would lend a platform for Ox to truly shine in glimpses. He has to move on fast but itā€™s a position we seriously need to rejig with a proper player. These fringe guys will have to take their chances when they can (given we actually sign this Mahrez chap).

I donā€™t know and not sure what kind of mentality that some of the fans have.

Like you said, a couple of good pre-season games, they are getting high. Ox is good enough and our RW position is sorter.
Signing Holding, they are high, like he is good enough to replace Per and will form a good partnership with Kos
Giroud had a couple of good games in the Euro, they got high, sound like we donā€™t need to search for a better striker.

Apart from Xhaka signing, we are still pretty much the same team of last season, not able to win the title while all other strong teams failed, and posting the lowest total points in 5 years. A few good games from a few individuals, then we are good enough.

1 Like

Ox would some player if you just judged him on preseason. Sanogo too.

1 Like

Iā€™m ready to buy an Ox shirt if he comes good, but I am NOT banking on it at all. I fully expect to be pulling my hair out (whatā€™s left of it) watching him and Theo bungle our attack over and over.

1 Like

Okay okay we get it.
He is only good during pre-season.

Can someone spout something new about Ox now?

Have you seen his video of training shots? He was painting upper 90 multiple times with an absolute cannonā€¦ he is better technically than some give him credit.

I donā€™t think his technic is the problem either. How he uses that though.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure saying heā€™s good is something new after the last few years.

Giroud probably does the same, itā€™s training after all.

Technique isnā€™t his main issue anyway. He has ability sure but donā€™t think he has the requisite football IQ to use it to his full extent.

1 Like

Yeah I was responding to Trionā€™s plea for ā€œnew informationā€ and tbf Oxā€™s strikes were unlike any I could imagine Giroud reliably performing (although he does catch one sweetly every so often).

Anyway, my issues with Ox are all about his intelligence and decision-making and with our record developing players on those grounds, I am not hugely optimistic.