Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

I can buy this. Victor Moses-esque transformation?

1 Like

Who knows but 3 defender formation under Wenger might be unlikely.

Could still utilise him there in a back four in games our full backs are likely to be parked in the opposition half.

Either way it canā€™t be any worse than what weā€™re seeing right now from him.

1 Like

Yep, when we are chasing the game playing him as wing back would be useful.

Its staggering how different Oxā€™s skillset became since the time he joined us. Really gutted.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s become different but rather that heā€™s made incremental improvements if any at all
since heā€™s joined, sadly the same can be said for the vast majority of the British core too.

On the whole heā€™s a bust.

1 Like

Yea I just donā€™t think heā€™s improver @Oliver

When he joined his dribbling and pace was pure class and it still is. RVPā€™s movement made it easier for him to put a cross in to. Since then his final ball has generally been shocking. Itā€™s mainly getting his head up to see whoā€™s around, which heā€™s never figured out.

Having him at right back is pretty useful while chasing a lead and his end product becomes less of an issue.

He had so much potential though. Watch old videos of his playstyle he was an animal with the ball at his feet and could actually string a few passes together.

He seems to have regressed, but it could just be me. My opinion of him was higher 2 years ago than it is now by a long way, and I donā€™t think that was all just the mystery of unknown potential. Iā€™m sure he was beating players ā€œfor funā€ a lot more often than he does these days. There was definitely a ā€œbeastā€ aspect to him, a power more than just a kid who can run quick but that seems to have vanished now. He mishit some balls, but I donā€™t remember him being hopeless until the last couple of years.

But as I say, it may just have been me romanticising it at the time.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc0Ynx17edU

Some of his close dribbling in this is insane really, given the speed he goes at too.

On an extreme level; you have the deft, light, nimble footed Cazorla balling it up in the middle and Chamberlain toeing it on the wing, dribbling through or past players at will. Maybe that ligament injury really affected him because that element really seems like a forgotten or lost trait of his in recent memory.

In actuality, itā€™s the age old, very Arsenal-esq tradition of getting a hair cut or changing hair styles. Itā€™s happened to the best of them in the past.

Heā€™s still an underrated player, and his stats for goals and assists are better than any season heā€™s had and heā€™s been benched mostly. Start him today

I still feel itā€™s his physical development that has somehow affected him.
Look at that video, he was shorter in stature and was like a block in body shape.
Perhaps itā€™s the Puma fitting shirt, but now he looks too lean for dribbling he indulges in and hence is almost always not balanced.

I heard itā€™s his laces 'cause he ties them too tight, cuts off circulation.

4 Likes

Heh. I know what I am saying is bit ridiculous but donā€™t you think his centre of gravity might have been affected by his growth?

I think that says more about how poor heā€™s been in previous seasons than how good he has been so far this season.

1 Like

Based on this season the Championship could be real good for him, might rack up 15 goals and 15 assists in a season. Heā€™s got some serious stat padding in games vs Reading, Nottingham Forest and the Hungarian pub side.

3 Likes

The problem is he is not a prospect any more and he has been here longer than most of our players, yet he is still persisted with by Wenger.

Itā€™s amazing that hostile gets games even though he is so inconsistent.

He could start today and get a few goals and assists but it would prove nothing.
We all know he has talent, but if he doesnā€™t have the consistency to go with it, he isnā€™t going to be good enough for a top club.

Bulgarian :wink:

1 Like

They werenā€™t a pub side either.
They were a village side :ozil2:

1 Like

Why does the opposition matter? Ɩzil also scored and assisted a lot v Ludogorets. Plus he set up the equaliser v United, a big game.

1 Like