Alex Iwobi

He looked good towards the end but ideally he shouldn’t have played in the team we put out there at the beginning as he’s just not ready enough for a game that had no one on the opposite side that would take pressure off him to create and move the ball forward. Also his tracking back and general awareness on the pitch just isn’t there yet. It’s not really something I’d blame a 20yo with the experience he has though, so all is good.

At least right now it looks like he’ll fight for a spot with Walcott, which shouldn’t be impossible for him, at least in patches.

2 Likes

But for whatever reason, the players from our youth teams are extremely unprepared in this regard and on multiple occasions now, managers that have taken our players on loan have commented on this. I also really don’t expect this side of his game to improve under Wenger either.

1 Like

I’d like to think that it’s something that comes with experience, so there’s still hope.

Has already got some big games under his belts in his short time in the first team. He already looks like he has a natural football brain and he’ll be ahead of Chamberlain in the pecking order soon, if he already isn’t. He must be genuinely good if Wenger trusts him to start both Barcelona and PSG away.

1 Like

Top talent. I believe he will be one of the crowning achievements of the second half of Wenger’s twenty year reign at Arsenal. His intelligence is refreshing. Light years ahead of Theo and Alex.

1 Like

He is good. Potentially very very good.

But, let’s be honest, if playing him means that Sanchez is weakened by being played up top and Giroud is out the side as a knock on result of that, then it shouldn’t be happening.

Play Iwobi on the right if anything, if Ox and Wally Walcott aren’t up to it.

ALso part of the reason Monreal got roasted by Aurier was because of Iwobi’s slight positional unawareness, not that Walcott or Chamberlain display much of that either, particularly Walcott.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget he scored and assisted 4 goals in his few minutes last season, sometimes players just don’t get their shooting boots on and that’s happened to plenty of our experienced players. He’s ahead of Ox and Walcott in the team for me.

I do feel like he does needs to work on his decision making in the final third. He’s a little too hestitant sometimes and that could cost us. But maybe that improves with age.

I don’t see why playing Iwobi would mean either of those things.

In my view, Wenger’s selection in most matches will be pretty simple (assuming full health for the moment).

-Ozil will be the 10 and Sanchez will play as a forward.

-He will choose one of Perez, Walcott, or Giroud to play as another forward. If its Giroud, then he will be CF and Sanchez will play wide. If its Theo or Perez, that player and Sanchez will alternate the CF and WF roles throughout the game.

-He will then choose one of Iwobi, Ox, or Ramsey to play on the opposite wing as a wide playmaker with more responsibilities in the build up and defensively.

Wenger deviated from this system in Paris, whether due to Theo being out and Giroud having some fitness issues still or because he thought the team would be more secure playing only one forward. In my view, it was a stupid selection. But I don’t expect him to do that very often.

Apologies, but I don’t understand why you quoted that part of my post and then left out the sentence beneath, a sentence which summarises all of what you wrote in response to the quoted part :confused:

This kid since the end of last season has turned into a real assist machine. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s racked up the most assists in the team since April onwards. Really turning out to be a great prospect, go Alex!

2 Likes

Immense talent. Fuck me he makes Chamberlain look retarded.

3 Likes

Glad he’s proving himself as a legit option for the wing. Bin Ox from the important games and let him duke it out in the domestic cups. Iwobi deserves a serious run now.

1 Like

Lovely assist for Theo’s 100th goal.

1 Like

Baller and keeping ox out of the team. What more could you ask?

Dat assist doe

1 Like

Oxlade should watch his performance with anger because in only one year Iwobi has played better than him in 5 years.

2 Likes

He was great today going forward but needs to be a bit more attentive defensively. Most of Hull’s threatening moments in the first half came when their right back got forward and Iwobi was a step behind.

All that said, he has a natural instinct for combining with other players around the box, nice movement skills, and very quick feet. He has to keep starting.

1 Like

I think that’s down to the opposition targeting Monreal’s lack of strength and pace, rather than having to face Bellerin.
But yeah I agree, he does need to switch on quicker defensively.

looks like I was right when I said Iwobi would break into our team way before Adelaide would, back in the emirates cup a couple of years ago

1 Like