2018 FIFA World Cup

Shocking lineup. Apart from the attack, really not what you expect from an argentinian national side.

1 Like

No Dybala or Pavon.

This is essentially sabotage, Sampaoli is a fraud.

Croatia’s defence isn’t the best so Messi and Aguero might get space but fucking hell what’s with all these managers being absolutely awful, may as well just make Messi player manager.

1 Like

Uruguay seem to be a little bit like the Atletico Madrid of international football with the way they play, so despite the close score games vs average team they still are likely to be hard to beat in the knockout stages.

1 Like

How does Icardi not get into the team? Isn’t he the one that shagged a teammates wife? :joy: Bad boy

That midfield will go against Kovacic, Modric and Rakitic :arteta: :arteta: :arteta:

Messi will have to do some next level Juju to carry this team past Croatia. And Lo Celso is riding the bench

No Banega either.

It’s just incredible incompetence, it’s straight up indefensible.

Imagine putting a XI together in a must win game where you’re almost forcing Messi to do it all, Maradona said Sampaoli won’t be welcome back in Argentina haha. They need to rip him if this costs them

1 Like

Morocco and Iran put in commendable shifts. Standard World Cup though with the underdogs giving their all chasing a game but rarely finding any clear goalscoring opportunities.

1 Like

FFS! What a shit team! :gabriel:

And to think I was actually happy when Argentina brought Sampaoli in as manager

4 Likes

Hoping for some better games today, last few days have been truly awful

3 Likes

I wouldn’t expect much from Australia Denmark haha

France Peru could be very good though!

2 Likes

You can’t always be lucky, my northern friend :wink:

France won’t beat Peru today.

1 Like

God, that Argentina team is shit. I expect Croatia to completely overrun them in midfield.

1 Like

Watching at a pub tonight, shame I’m driving so I will only be allowed to have 2-3 beers.

Most people were aware about how top heavy in terms of talent Argentina are. It’s not new information. I still think they’ll get through though – potentially to the quarter finals if they avoid France in the last 16. But they definitely need to up their game.

I also think France will win today. It looks like Giroud will be starting, having that presence and natural focal point in the box will help them. I know some people don’t rate him but his record for France exceeds his reputation – his goals per game ratio is the same as Thierry Henry’s! They were better once he came on in their game against Australia, they should have brought him on earlier.

2 Likes

Fabregas said it best about this world cup. The footballs alright but theres not much going on in the last third of the field.
Football is bigger than ever, but not better. Lot of big names falling short. Basically when some are taken out of their luxury clubs and asked to adjust to countries needs they cant seem to do it.

3 Likes

Yeah agreed. It’s because they’re already big names earning big money so they don’t have anything to prove and they aren’t trying to use the WC to get a big money move.

They’re lazy and complacent.

1 Like

I was very much in the Messi is GOAT camp, but I have to admit, Ronaldo is an incredible player and the way he elevates his games and takes on the monumental task of winning with an average team is truly admirable.

I think on paper Messi’s Argentina is a better squad than Portugal’s. But, Messi seems unable to do for his nation what he did for Barcelona and for whatever reason that is, Ronaldo’s sheer willpower and determination to give it his all and win. To me he perhaps (god I thought I would never say this) will be the GOAT if Messi doesn’t do something more extraordinary for his country.

3 Likes

Apparently they have won the World Cup 4 times :slight_smile:

https://theculturetrip.com/south-america/uruguay/articles/why-has-uruguays-football-team-been-awarded-4-stars/

Oh and…

Singapore 2030 here we come!

1 Like