The League Cup

Congratulations to Manchester United because a trophy at Wembley is a trophy at Wembley, but I’m sorry if I judge the League Cup as an useless cup like their founder said.

**[quote=“Maxi_Gooner, post:242, topic:566, full:true”]
Congratulations to Manchester United because a trophy at Wembley is a trophy at Wembley, but I’m sorry if I judge the League Cup as an useless cup like their founder said.
[/quote]

But you think the community shield is worthy if i remember correctly.

a trophy at Wembley is a trophy and deserve respect and honour, but I never read which the founder of the Community Shield said: “this cup is born to be a consolation for the teams out of FA Cup”.

Fine Maxi. By the way their still in the FA cup.

Meh… once the FA Cup is done no one will remember who won the League Cup. It’s a nice trophy on the day, but there are bigger games to win. That being said I wouldn’t mind having a year in which we can have a go at every trophy around as we clearly have the numbers to do so but for some reason often fall short or don’t even try, which is a bit disappointing.

6 Likes

Youth team trophy at best for the big teams. Attendances poor, prize money poor, and causes fixture pile ups.

Fuck United and their celebrations. They once snubbed the FA Cup because they thought they had better things to do.

Wenger stopped caring about this comp on the 11/11/1998.(fucking shit night that was)The only difference then was it was still part of the season ticket… I was fucking gutted…

Was this trophy number relevant in terms of Manchester Utd overtaking Liverpool or something?

Both level on 44 “major” trophies apparently.

1 Like

Zlatan will get found out in the all mighty premier league when he’s 36, don’t worry people.

@Maxi_Gooner is right. The Community Shield is played between the teams who win the league and the F.A. Cup, while the League Cup is just a consolation.

No hes not. People on here dont get pissed off over united winning community shields.
David Moyes won the community shield ffs.

2 Likes

So? It doesn’t matter who wins it. I will always consider it better than the League Cup, as the 2 best teams in England face each other.

1 Like

Until recently it would have been shared if the game was a draw… We shared it with the scum in 91… Plus its a charity game… Still want to win it if in it though(I want to win friendleys).but when counting trophys i wouldnt include them…

2 Likes

You consider the Community Shield better than the League Cup?! Lol what. One is a pre season friendly the other is a proper competitive knockout competition over the space of 6 or so month’s.

2 Likes

I can’t take seriously anyone that values the Charity Shield above the League Cup :laughing: Utter bobbins

How many of the former have we won? How many lost? I couldn’t tell you without the aid of Wikipedia

It’s good to win one at the time because it can give some momentum and positivity going into the early season, but once a few months have gone by I don’t really care.

I gave my ticket away for the last two without a second thought. Wembley is for proper cup finals

3 Likes

Just read the history part, this explains why it shouldnt to counted in any true trophy count.

2 Likes

Tell me how you felt honestly when we lost to Birmingham and then on any shield loss.

If its played between the 2 teams Wigan were relegated when they won the cup. Nah im afraid you italian boys are way off on this one.

3 Likes

such a tedious discussion.

its a super cup format.
its an official honour.
its the fourth most prestigious trophy in English football.

as an individual you can choose to turn your nose up at it, but that doesnt mean shit in the grand scheme of things.

the only way it wouldnt count is if it wasnt a football assosciation trophy. but it is.

I don’t even agree with this tbh and it might wind people up but I’d have said the FA trophy was a bigger deal than it (prior to all their messing with that anyway) and certainly the other three lower league titles too.

But as you say, that’s just how I see it, doesn’t mean I’m right.