2016/17 FA Cup

Very true and well remembered. I’m surprised I forgot that considering how nuts I went for it.

However, that said I feel like that game was very much an anomaly; an exception rather than the rule. That was very much a Man United that was down and out.

That game does show that nothing is a foregone conclusion though.

1 Like

Not a bad shout, though that is the one possible example. However, how might that have gone if we’d faced them IN the semi-final at Wembley?

I think the FA Cup only becomes truly pressurised at this stage now. Had we lost that match at Old Trafford there would have been disappointment but I think it would have subsided much more quickly than a defeat to a rival in a major match on neutral turf. I’m not at all saying you’re wrong to highlight that match, but I’m not sure it was truly a “crunch” match.

I have to disagree with you there.

A quarter-final in the FA Cup at Old Trafford against United is most definitely a crunch match. No doubt about it.

3 Likes

I see the point, but I can recall a couple of cup losses to United, and when I think of the fallout, the 2004 semi final is the only one I can really recall being absolutely devastating .

Edit: notwithstanding the 2009 Champions League semi final, which was utterly crushing.

2 Likes

Can I please clarify that I don’t think we’re going to win today, haha.

Neither do I, since we play tomorrow.

5 Likes

Our quarter final opponent’s just got promoted to the Football League!

Congratulations Lincoln :beers:

3 Likes

I’ve had a fucking mare on this thread.

If it comes to it that we can beat Spurs twice this season, at WHL and in the Cup final, but then they go on to do the league double over us for the next 3 seasons, I think I could live with that (I think)

It’s quite possible they’ll beat us at White Hart Lane, in the cup final if both teams get there, and do the league double over us for the next three seasons.

My point being that what any of us would take or not take doesn’t really have any bearing.

1 Like

Yes, the 2004 loss was painful. Ferguson going all Sam Allardyce 12-men behind he ball on us. Dick.

Thankfully I’ve never seen that game back in its entirety. Not even highlights. They don’t tend to show it much. It’s the same with the game we played a few days later against Chelsea. Equally heartbreaking because I was sure we’d bounce back and beat them handsomely. Only have ourselves to blame :frowning:

To be fair we did the same thing against Ferguson the next year in the final and won the most undeserved cup ever.

Weird one.

1 Like

United fan in the replies :joy:

Costa has been in China since January anyway but Hazard would be a big loss. It wouldn’t be surprising though – Conte likes to prioritise the league, he never won a cup with Juventus either. Great league manager, but has an allergy to cups.

Let’s beat City first :wink:

Spurs 2-0 win

Ah, so that’s why Chelsea recalled Ake from his successful loan spell at Bournemouth - purely with this match in mind. Makes sense now.

2 Likes

No Hazard or Costa. Ake starts… Interesting. Seems like they are willing to forfeit this for the league. Could have a knock on effect if Chelsea lose this though

1 Like

Spurs are 2.5 to win this one lads, looks like good value considering the lineups

2 Likes