Thread: Remi Garde: ARSENE WENGER needs David Dein back at Arsenal

BANNED

Home is where the heart is regardless of location
    OA Cash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawz View Post
    Guess people just don't like you.
    Haircut.

OA Cash
    we need some smart motherfuckers who love arsenal more than anything. If someone fits the bill, bring him in
    Anfield '89 beats Eastlands '12 hands down because we were the underdogs, and fought hard to beat the dominant team of the era by 2 goals to nil, rather than almost bottling it at home against QPR!

Silver member Super Collider Champion flower match 2 Champion Extreme Blocks Champion Number Revolution Champion Chicken Went Nuts! Champion Bunny Hop Champion Zombie Zombie Champion shamrockgooner's Avatar

OA Cash
    I've said this a few times now when Deins name has arisen but will do so again.

Dein had a very important position at the club when here previously. He was also a major shareholder and the driving force behnd a lot of what the club done (thankfully was souted down on the Wembley move). If he was to come back he would be none of those things.

The board do not trust him after what happened and most would probably not want to work with him again. He worked well because he had the power, he just would not have it if he came back. I fail to see what he can offer the club at boardroom level.

OA Member

OA Cash
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrockgooner View Post
    I've said this a few times now when Deins name has arisen but will do so again.

Dein had a very important position at the club when here previously. He was also a major shareholder and the driving force behnd a lot of what the club done (thankfully was souted down on the Wembley move). If he was to come back he would be none of those things.

The board do not trust him after what happened and most would probably not want to work with him again. He worked well because he had the power, he just would not have it if he came back. I fail to see what he can offer the club at boardroom level.

I'm kinda with you on this one.

Everyone seems to look at what happened when we were successful and look at it now (when we're not successful) and say 'well whatever is missing now must be what has gone wrong' and therefore come up with Dein + missing = reason for failure.

now clearly anecdotally Dein is a shrewd negotiator and I would perhaps agree that it would seems we're slightly more hamfisted now when it comes to transfers.

but what i'd also say is that Dein was not involved (for long) since the CFC revolution, since Man U plunged into debt to keep up and since the Sheikh turned up at City...so the 'sell' that Dein would have to make to any prospective AFc player is very much more difficult than it was in 1998-2004...when he could say 'come join the joint top/best side in England, with the best reputation for playing football and a decent wage structure'...now he'd be saying come join the club that won't pay you the highest and may not win anything but at least we're more sensible than the rest who may all go bankrupt by the end of the decade'...footballers don't give a fiddlers about that...show them the 'kin money.

And let's also not forget...(as we tend to forget because Wenger has created/developed so many world class players) that barring Bergkamp and Overmars AFC never bought world class players in their peak years even when Dein was there...so why now do people think if he comes we suddenly will?

it's a re-write of history.

People can say Dein is a visionary (cos he wanted ITV to get the PL rights after all!!) - he saw that the only way to compete with a Russian and Saudi oligarch was to hitch our wagons to an Uzbeck oligarch but as I've said before...we really need as fans to really be careful that we don't force our club to go down that sugar-daddy route simply for short-term success.

BANNED

OA Cash
    Peter Taylor was to Brian Clough like Dein was to Wenger.

Still makes me mad how the board hounded him out still.

OA Cash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ71 View Post
    I'm kinda with you on this one.

Everyone seems to look at what happened when we were successful and look at it now (when we're not successful) and say 'well whatever is missing now must be what has gone wrong' and therefore come up with Dein + missing = reason for failure.

now clearly anecdotally Dein is a shrewd negotiator and I would perhaps agree that it would seems we're slightly more hamfisted now when it comes to transfers.
    yep, maybe not even "more hamfisted" perhaps tightfisted

but what i'd also say is that Dein was not involved (for long) since the CFC revolution, .
    He was there for 4 years of it, 2 league titles and a double and long enough to know significant investment was needed and he brought stan the man to the board to do that and was gone soon after because of it.

since Man U plunged into debt to keep up .
    Debt which has seen them increase their value by over £200m, the debt is just leverage from a take over, how shrewd are the glaziers to buy a billion pound company with other peoples money and then make the company pay it back by being successful with a strong youth development strategy and being able to make funds available for quality. Inflation and there brand value and subsequent income from it will wipe that out .

and since the Sheikh turned up at City...so the 'sell' that Dein would have to make to any prospective AFc player is very much more difficult than it was in 1998-2004...when he could say 'come join the joint top/best side in England, with the best reputation for playing football and a decent wage structure'...now he'd be saying come join the club that won't pay you the highest and may not win anything but at least we're more sensible than the rest who may all go bankrupt by the end of the decade'...footballers don't give a fiddlers about that...show them the 'kin money.
    So true. I think a lot of people do ask now was it necessary for him to go, I dont know and I dont know if things would be any different as he wanted to sell his shares to Stan so maybe that is what should have happened but we are where we are innit.

And let's also not forget...(as we tend to forget because Wenger has created/developed so many world class players) that barring Bergkamp and Overmars AFC never bought world class players in their peak years even when Dein was there...so why now do people think if he comes we suddenly will?
    Reyes, Arsharvin (sometimes), Wiltord, Sol Campbell, Ian wright, maybe not for england but.... I would say they were all signed as world class players, at the time

it's a re-write of history.
    I'll say. i thought Dein introduced Stan the man - mid table Stan that we are stuck with now - to the AFC board and iffered to sell his shares to him. The board said oh no we dont need that sort here, we did need some sort of billionaire investment tho, Dein went but still knew we needed big investment and then the slug was found so major shareholders sold to Stan. I'm not defending Usmanov but Dein tried to bring in Stan 1st.

People can say Dein is a visionary (cos he wanted ITV to get the PL rights after all!!) - he saw that the only way to compete with a Russian and Saudi oligarch was to hitch our wagons to an Uzbeck oligarch but as I've said before...we really need as fans to really be careful that we don't force our club to go down that sugar-daddy route simply for short-term success.
    He also drove the re-branding of the club to protect its corporate identity and revoloutionised the corporate srtucture and revenue. Once on board with the move he drove it on and when work stopped due to finance he got the deal done to secure hundreds of millions to get it done.

All that said I am by no means convinced bringin him back, unless its with £100m + to invest on squad development, is what we need. He is to blame for Stan with his mmid table approach that all the sports businesses, Stan owns, operate at. I dont think Dein would be much use as a defensive coach, there is no transfer window for him to negotiate. Anyway he talks to Wenger often & it hasnt helped much recently.
    Last edited by BarrowBoy; 23-09-2011 at 23:15.

Silver member Super Collider Champion flower match 2 Champion Extreme Blocks Champion Number Revolution Champion Chicken Went Nuts! Champion Bunny Hop Champion Zombie Zombie Champion shamrockgooner's Avatar

OA Cash
    Quote Originally Posted by BarrowBoy View Post
    Anyway he talks to Wenger often & it hasnt helped much recently.
    Sorry to cut your post down to this but as far as Dein coming back goes this says it all for me.

What could Dein say to Wenger as a colleague that he can't say as a friend?

Bow To Leper Messiah Leper Messiah's Avatar

OA Cash
    Dein is an absolute cunt and I'd hate to see him back at Arsenal in any capacity for any reason.

Besides, if he wanted to help Arsene then he could start by having a word with his slimy agent cunt of a son. However that won't happen because the only thing the orange peril gives a shit about is himself.
    Last edited by Leper Messiah; 25-09-2011 at 23:15.

BANNED

OA Cash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    Dein is an absolute cunt and I'd hate to see him back at Arsenal in any capacity for any reason.

Besides, if he wanted to help Arsene then he could start by having a word with his slimy agent cunt of a son. However that won't appen because the only thing the orange peril gives a shit about is himself.

BANNED

OA Cash
    There's nothing more i'd want to happen to Arsenal than Dein come back, he'd be more important than any transfer in January.

Fuck off Ivan.

1 likes.

OA Cash
    I'm not trying to rain on the David Dein parade, but how long has it been since he's been out of the game? Wouldn't it be better to get his son in at Arsenal? He's younger (just a wild guess) than David Dein and presumably knows his way around transfers, after fleecing the club the last couple of years.

OA Cash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey Boy View Post
    Id be happy to try almost anything that might even remotely repair things at the club, its getting that fucking desperate
    My feelings exactly. I might seem like anti-Wenger but really I'm just pro-try fucking anything besides what we've been doing.
    I change my signature often

OA Cash
    We already had Dein's son, but his aproach was the complete opposite of his Dad.

He helped us get rid of a few players right? the likes of Thierry Henry, Emmanuel Adebayor, Gael Clichy, Cesc Fabregas, Robin van Persie and Alex Song.
    “Ouch to! Ouch to be! Ouch to be a Gooner!”

1 likes.

OA Cash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshF. View Post
    I'm not trying to rain on the David Dein parade, but how long has it been since he's been out of the game? Wouldn't it be better to get his son in at Arsenal? He's younger (just a wild guess) than David Dein and presumably knows his way around transfers, after fleecing the club the last couple of years.
    Actually contractually obliging Darren Dein to not tap up and try move on our players might be a decent enough move.

Silver member tubix Champion Craigie's Avatar

OA Cash
    Quote Originally Posted by LFS-forward View Post
    We already had Dein's son, but his aproach was the complete opposite of his Dad.

He helped us get rid of a few players right? the likes of Thierry Henry, Emmanuel Adebayor, Gael Clichy, Cesc Fabregas, Robin van Persie and Alex Song.
    I'd love a ruthless spineless cunt to be in charge of our transfer dealings. Imagine all that great work but in reverse and in Arsenal's benefit?

Probably more money in what he's doing now though than working for the Arsenal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12